Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2013 07:00

Inspiron 2330 C: drive ?

I've had some issues booting and had to preform a recovery off my USB backup but some of the Dell C: drive configuration seems to have changed. At least from what I remember.

If someone could check below and let me know what if anything is wrong and how to correct it I would really appreciate it. Thanks

3.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi Hanksl7878,

It seems that the partitions were formatted when you restored your computer to factory settings. You can only merge the unallocated partition with the active partition to the left. Here, you can merge the 11.87 GB partition with OS (C) and 43 MB and 500 MB with 500 MB (Healthy EFI Partition).

Right Click on the active partition -> choose Extend Volume -> follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps.

15 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 10:00

Thanks. There are no Dell OS or recovery system information that normally reside in that space?

3.1K Posts

April 5th, 2013 08:00

Hi Hanksl7878,

Thank you for the response. If you want to use the unallocated space, you may merge the space using the steps mentioned in previous post.

If you want to create a new recovery partition, you can download and install Dell DataSafe from the following link http://bit.ly/jmNmZt . As soon as you install Dell DataSafe, it will automatically create a new recovery partition.

Hope this helps.

15 Posts

April 5th, 2013 12:00

Thanks but there still seems to be a problem.

3.1K Posts

April 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Hanksl7878,

Thank you for the response. To install Dell DataSafe on the computer, only one partition is required. If you have performed the steps mentioned in the previous post to merge the partition, you should be able to install Dell DataSafe.

If not, I would suggest you to perform the steps to merge the partition. Please post a screenshot of the current state of Disk Management.

Please reply if you have any questions.

15 Posts

April 8th, 2013 08:00

Here is a pic of my C: drive -

At present I'd prefer not to extend the Primary C:drive.

When looking at the EFI System space and the 2 unallocated spaces to it's right, none of them allow for an Extend option. The unallocated spaces allow for the "New Simple Volume" only

Thanks for your continuing help

3.1K Posts

April 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi Hanksl7878,

Merging the partition's would not affect the C drive. If you wish, you can create a new partition for the unallocated space (11.87 GB).

If you are not comfortable, the only step that you may try is to format the entire computer, delete all the partitions, then have only one partition.

15 Posts

April 10th, 2013 15:00

I can create s Simple Volume and assign a letter to it. Will this allow me to run the Dell DataSave program?

Thanks

3.1K Posts

April 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi Hanksl7878,

As mentioned earlier, to install Dell DataSafe, only one partition is required. Creating a Simple Volume might not help in this scenario. You may try to merge the unallocated partitions. This should not affect the existing partitions and data stored on them.

Else, formatting the entire computer and deleting all the partition would the better option.

No Events found!