Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 13th, 2017 18:00

Inspiron 24-3459 Line-in audio migration from other PC

I have an application that records data from a radio. On my old PC I used the line-in for this function. ON this new PC, the only possible equivalent is the combined headphone/microphone jack on the left side of the unit. I do not get any audio when using the same cable that worked fine thru the line-in on previous PC. Is this not possible to do line-in audio on the PC or am I missing something?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 14th, 2017 12:00

Always include the version of Windows in your posts.

How did this cable connect to the "radio" to record data on the other PC?

The audio/video specs for the 3459 say you have a combo jack port, that's also described as a Headset port in the setup diagram.

Are you sure that input port/jack is enabled in Windows?

Or maybe you just need a different type of cable. If you can't find a suitable cable, maybe you should investigate a USB>Audio adapter, though these can be expensive.

3 Posts

March 15th, 2017 18:00

Sorry. Windows10. New machine.

The radio connected to the old machine with a patch cable that is a standard size phone plug with a male connector on both ends. It connected to the line-in jack on a Dell Inspiron 537S running Windows7.

I will be trying some things with the recording devices to see what side effect I run into and will advise later.

Thanks for the reply

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2017 13:00

I was able to get this to work back then, but don't see a way to have the "line-in" audio play thru the speaker. It does, however record just fine. This is even after fiddling with various combinations of "default device" and "default communications device". Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

No Events found!