Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 06:00

Inspiron 24 5459 AIO fan noise and speed control

Hi,

I just bought a Inpiron 24 5459 AIO and noticed the fan is quite noisy. The fan seems to always spin at high speed regardless CPU temperature. Does this model supports fan speed PWM? Or maybe my unit is defective?

Thanks,

Jack

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

I tried to use SpeedFan 4.52 to adjust the fan speed. However it cannot find any fan from this model.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 4th, 2016 02:00

Thank you for your message.

The fan should not be spinning at high speed all the time.

Please update the chipset & bios from this link http://dell.to/1SZoqSB  (enter you service tag to download drivers) & check if the issue persists.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the reply. I already updated to the latest drivers and bios. The fan is still quite noisy. The noise is more on the level of a desktop pc instead of laptop's.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 6th, 2016 16:00

Please run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://dell.to/2eDoEF7 .  This will help us diagnose is there is a hardware issue.

Please click on the Dell username & us a private message. Share your system service tag along with the registered name & email address.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2016 05:00

Hi,

As jianpan00 reported, the fan on the Inspiron 24 5459 AIO seems to only run at one speed, contrary to what would occur in a laptop. I've done CPU stress on the i5 and the fan never changed speed so I would think it is already running at maximum speed. I've look at the Dell alimentation profile and the cooling of the CPU is at "active" which means it should run at slow speed when the CPU is idle and run at high speed when the CPU is highly used (hot).

I bought this AIO to install in a quiet room but it is just too noisy to put there as there is the constant noise of the fan. I can understand the fan to be noisy when we use the computer for CPU intensive task but, as the design of this AIO suggest (convection column where hot air goes out at the top and cold air get in at the bottom), the fan should run very slowly when unused.

Is it supposed to run at a single high speed even when the CPU is idle?

I'm on the latest bios update and Dell Update is saying that everything is up to date.

Thank you.

ehfortin

No Events found!