Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 28th, 2015 19:00

Inspiron 3050 Windows 10 1511 Update

The update won't install due to space... and it wanted 5 GB which I managed to do but now it says 9 or 10 GB it needs free.  There's nothing else to delete application wise to free up that much space.

I'm willing to wipe the machine clean and do a fresh install to start from this latest stable Windows 10 update.  I read all the forums here for space issues but I couldn't find instructions for doing a clean install... I download the Media Creation Tool to download an ISO to an attached SSD drive (which has plenty of space... and Windows Update initially asked if it could download to a different location and I pointed it to the SSD drive but it apparently still needs 9-10 GB of "local" drive space free to do the update.

Anyhow...  can you tell me what license keys I need to find and where and what process I can go through to download an installable version of the latest Windows 10 version and properly install it on this 3050?  

I repeat... I've uninstalled every installable program that's not core to the OS and still can't free up enough space... Windows 10 Update won't use any of the free space on the USB attached SSD so that's not an option either.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 10:00

I would greatly appreciate any solutions to adhocergo's issue. I have the same problem!  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 14:00

Download the latest Media Creation tool.

Image your HDD on external media and then wipe it clean and install Win 10. The latest version of Win 10 should accept the Product Key from either Win 7 or 8.1 automatically so you won't to have to enter a key to activate Win 10.

Prior to the latest version, you would have to upgrade the existing version to Win 10, and then wipe the drive and do a clean install of Win 10, which was really stupid.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2015 07:00

The "Media Creation Tool" won't let you point to where to save the ISO or whatever it wants to download.  It errors and says it needs 8GB of space to download... why can't I select a drive for it to download to?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 6th, 2015 11:00

Use another system to download the Windows 10 .iso.

April 23rd, 2016 10:00

This is probably a bit late for you, but for others:

When you get this message attempting to update to Windows 10:

1. Insert an empty USB memory stick (at least 10GB free) into one of the USB slots.
  2. Format the USB stick for NTFS.
  3. Retry the update. The update will use the available space on the USB stick.

That's what I did, and it worked fine.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 28th, 2016 05:00

There is no such thing as a 10 gig flash drive.  The GIGS problem or lack therof is an issue that is more than 35 years old now.  A gig for some is 1,000,000 whereas computers say its 1,048,576.   The reason 8 gig units don't work is because 8 gig flash drives are 7.54 gigs and 4 gig flash drives are 3.56 gigs.   16 gig units are actually 14.32 gigs.

You  can always use a larger flash drive but never one that's too small.

Even Dell Backup and Recovery uses 12 Gigs of space which is why an 8 gig stick is and will always be too small.

Units as large as 128 gigs are $40 or less now.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCZ43-128G-GAM46-Newest-Version/dp/B01BGTG2A0

May 4th, 2016 08:00

There is no such thing as a 10 gig flash drive.  ...

I didn't say there was ... you have to have at least 10GB of free (available) space on the USB memory stick you decide to use.  I should  have been clearer: "Insert a USB memory stick with at least 10GB free, into one of the USB slots."

There can be other stuff on the memory stick you insert.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 6th, 2016 07:00

There CANNOT BE other stuff on a recovery usb because with DBAR and the Media creation tool EVERYTHING is ERASED on the flash drive before it creates the media. A gig to the drive makers is 1,000,000 and a Gig to computers is 1,048,576 which is why 4 or 8 or 16 or 32 etc isn'twhat it claims to be.

4 is 3.xx

8 is 7.xx

16 is 14.xx

32 is 29.xx

The larger the drive the worse this difference becomes.

This is why 16 gigs are the minimum size recommended because 4 isnt 4 and 8 isnt 8.

May 9th, 2016 09:00

There CANNOT BE other stuff on a recovery usb because with DBAR and the Media creation tool EVERYTHING is ERASED on the flash drive before it creates the media. ...

I don't know what you are talking about, but I was talking about the extra storage that one can temporarily make available (via a USB memory stick) during the upgrade.  This has nothing to do with the Media Creation Tool.

It also has nothing to do with the various representations of memory sizes by the storage industry.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 9th, 2016 09:00

Both DBAR and the media creation tool ERASE any USB media before using it.

Anything on this media before use will be lost.

Adding usb storage will not free up space to allow install this is invalid.

May 17th, 2016 10:00

Both DBAR and the media creation tool ERASE any USB media before using it.

Anything on this media before use will be lost.

Adding usb storage will not free up space to allow install this is invalid.

Your response has nothing to do with this thread, which is about needing extra storage during a Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade.  It has nothing to do with the Media Creation Tool.  According to the message that appears, you provide the needed storage by deleting files (not feasible in the case at hand), or by providing extra storage on other media.

Further, the process does not use the extra storage for creating a bootable copy of WIndows 10 (in contrast, that's what the Media Creation Tool does).  It uses the extra space for creating Windows 8.1 restoration files.  The message from the upgrade says to save the extra storage, as it contains the necessary files to restore to the previous version of Windows.  Just like in the case when you DO have enough storage on the original media, the upgrade places the recovery files in a directory named "Windows.old".

I've posted this message not to argue, but to provide useful information to others who have encountered the same upgrade issue, and how I solved it.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 19th, 2016 19:00

You will have to use another machine to download and save an ISO.

It doesnt have to be the machine that you are installing on.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 19th, 2016 19:00

The media creation tool has everything to do with the upgrade to 10.

You can make a bootable usb flash drive that contains all of the 10 install not requiring you to be online.

You cant use USB as Extra storage for an upgrade install.  You can use a Universal USB installer to upgrade machines. 

You can also use this flash drive to format current storage and do a clean install of windows 10 TH2.  When it asks for keys say skip this.

When you get online you put in your win7 or win8 key.

The bios key can be read before installing windows 10 for 7 you read the coa key.

No Events found!