Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 3250 Updates boot option automatically and fails to boot

After the Windows 10 creators update, I have an Inspiron 3250 that failed to boot.  The blue screen that shows includes the text:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

The Boot Configuration Data files doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

File: \BCD

Error code: 0xc0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools.  If you don't have any installation media...

I was able to fix it by adding a boot option and selecting the EFI boot file directly.  I called the boot option "BOOT EFI".   I set it to "Boot Option #1" in the bios, and the computer boots.

The boot option #1 resets to "Windows Boot Manager on Disk 0" after a power outage.  It does not always reset, but most of the time it does.

How do I get "Windows Boot Manager on Disk 0" working correctly or how do I prevent the Bios from changing to it after a power outage?

Here are some screen shots that show reselecting the boot option so that it will boot.

August 22nd, 2017 08:00

Thanks for an answer.  Already did all those things before posting here (except the reinstall from scratch).

Note: System boots up fine when the BIOS does not automatically update itself.  The problem is that the BIOS is changing (reverting?) to trying to boot from "Windows Boot Manager on Disk 0".  Boot order BIOS does not seem like something that should update itself without any user intervention.  Is it some kind of Dell Utility that is doing it?  Is it Windows 10?  How do I stop it??!!??  I can't think of any instance where I want the BIOS to update itself without direct user intervention!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 08:00

0xc0000098: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry boot error message affecting Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8 , 10.

File: \Boot\BCD Status 0XC0000098

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/

Bootrec.exe /Fixmbr

Bootrec.exe /Fixboot

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBCD

You MUST have Bootable DVD to fix this aka WINPE disk.

You are totally hozed.

Time to reinstall from scratch.

August 22nd, 2017 09:00

Thanks for a reply, although it does no address my question it might help others.  I already went through those procedures before posting here.

The system is bootable an works fine as long as the BIOS does not automatically update itself and revert back to "Windows Boot Manager on Disk 0".

How do I stop the BIOS from automatically updating?  What is updating it?  Is it some Dell utility or Windows 10?

It seems like a great breach in security to have boot order automatically updated without direct user intervention and approval.

August 23rd, 2017 08:00

System is pretty new.  Just went out of 1 year warranty in July, so only had it about 14 months.  Other parts of bios would be affected by power outages, and it's just the boot order that is being updated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 08:00

Is the DL2032 CMOS battery going bad?  They last typically 3 to 10 years max whether installed or not.

No Events found!