atmasphere
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3650: Added SSD, but can't get to boot without F12 Boot manager

I added a Samsung Evo 850 Pro (512GB) SSD to my Inspiron 3650 and I can boot to it fine when using F12 at startup and manually selecting it from the list.  The original 1GB drive is something I want to only use as storage, but it seems the system is still seeking it ... when I start normally I get a boot device not found error.  This is driving me a bit crazy ... 

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: Inspiron 3650: Added SSD, but can't get to boot without F12 Boot manager

Have you changed the Default boot device in the Bios?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
atmasphere
1 Nickel

Hard Drive is selected, but there's only one listed and there are two.  with or without the cable connected to the prior / new drive I can only see one.

0 Kudos
atmasphere
1 Nickel

FIXED!!  Had to do a CMOS Reset and cleared the NVRAM ... but am booting direct to the SSD without issue finally!  What a giant pain to sort, but success!

Jolynn315
1 Nickel

Well the easiest thing to do would have been to plug the new ssd into the first sata connection or swap the hdd sata cable to the new ssd sata cable the computer boots from that first sata port by default

0 Kudos
atmasphere
1 Nickel

that failed ... without the NVRAM reset the drive would refuse to show up ... been working great since.  

0 Kudos