Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2016 16:00

Inspiron 3650 does not beep on start up. Should it?

Appears to be working fine, less than a week old. I was expecting a beep on start up but I hear nothing (unless it's very quiet) Should I expect a beep code. Couldn't find anything regarding this in the manual. I have a S2316H monitor with built in speakers attached via the HDMI.

Any thoughts appreciated please. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 13:00

With newer versions of BIOS and UEFI, there's no one beep at POST, unless there's a problem. Now one beep at POST typically means: System Board: BIOS ROM failure.  

A while back, Dell had a brand new model giving the "normal" one beep at POST, but users confused that one beep with the motherboard failure code one beep . :emotion-3:

That led to a lot of motherboards being needlessly replaced under warranty. Dell subsequently suppressed the "normal" one beep at POST in a revision of BIOS, and spared the life of a lot of motherboards! :emotion-4:

58 Posts

September 7th, 2016 10:00

Many thanks. I had an Inspiron 530 previously and was quite used to the beep on each start up. Wasn't sure if I needed to listen out each time I switched on.

2.3K Posts

September 7th, 2016 10:00

I've had multiple computers over the years and none of them have beeped.  I know the older generation computers from the early 2000's back used to do a POST beep when everything was ok.  I don't think they do that anymore and just beep if there is an error. If you do not see any messages of concern I wouldn't worry about it.  

58 Posts

September 7th, 2016 13:00

Thanks RoHe. That makes sense now.

No Events found!