Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 20:00

Inspiron 3847 - Second Hard Drive on sata Port 1 randomly changing between sata II and sata III modes.

Has anyone run into this issue with installing an ssd and a second hard drive into an Inspiron 3847 (i3847-5078BK)? I installed a 250gb Samsung Evo 850 ssd  as the OS drive on sata port 0 and reformatted the Seagate 1tb drive that came with the machine and connected it to sata port 1.

I noticed an issue while looking in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app, that the hard drive on port 1 was operating sometimes at sata II and other times at sata III. I double checked the results using HWiNFO64 and the drive info was the same as with the Intel app. The SSD drive on sata port 0, so far remains stable in sata III mode.

The hard drive seems to be otherwise functioning fine. I'm just concerned because I'm going to be using the drive for audio and video editing which can be pretty data intensive. Could this issue cause any problems with the drive overtime? It's odd that a drive that came with the machine from Dell would be the one giving me the problem.

I guess I'll go buy another sata III cable and give that a try. Could always add a separate sata controller but that's something I shouldn't have to do just to add a second drive. I should also note that my  IDE controller and motherboard are set to AHCI. I'm not that concerned at which sata speed my second hard drive runs at, I would just like for it to pick one.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank You.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2015 08:00

Unknown. In real time usage, you are not going to "see" the difference. Be sure you have loaded the latest Bios from Dell and the latest Intel H81 chipset drivers from Intel.

No Events found!