Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2013 01:00

Inspiron 530 - BIOS Restrictions

Hi.

I have been using my 530 for a few years now and have changed the hardware configuration considerably in that time. The MOBO and processor are original but the rest has changed, i.e..

• RAM 2  x   2GB DDR2 800
  • GPU  -  Radeon HD4600
  • Power supply - Upgraded for additional drives and GPU loads
  • HDD 1  -  Replaced with Samsung SSD
  • HDD 2   -  1.5 TB Samsung HDD for Data
  • HDD 3   -  1.0 TB  Seagate HDD for backup
  • Optical drive 1  -  Original DVD RW
  • Optical drive 2  -  LG BD  RW
  • PCi to SATA card to support HDD3 for Backup process. (a bit slow but not a real problem)
  • OS  -  Currently running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

This runs most things I throw at it without too many issues but I feel I am not getting true benefit from my SSD as the chip set and BIOS do not support AHCI mode and there appears to be no way around this without a Mobo / processor upgrade to one that supports AHCI.

If anyone out there has faced this issue, have you found any solutions? Also is the performance hike I might get by using AHCI mode worth the effort that I would need to put in or should I stick with what I have?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2013 05:00

Hi Algie42,

The Inspiron 530 has both SATA I and SATA II ports. Are you sure the SSD is connected to the higher speed port? The Intel RST will show you the SATA transfer mode.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2013 10:00

If your SSD supports SATA 3.0, you will get a slight boost from a SATA 3.0 card like this.

No Events found!