Highlighted
WildBillN
1 Copper

Inspiron 530 Boot Up Problem

Today when I went to power up my Inspiron 530 desktop all that comes up is the "Dell" screen and it goes no further.  None of the function keys work (i.e., I can't get into the boot menu, setup, safemode, etc.).   I then shut it down by pressing and holding the on/off switch.  After waiting several minutes I turned it back on and it got to the same screen.  I then put in a boot disc and shut it down again, however I found it interesting that I didn't have to hold in the button.  Just a quick press and it shut down.  Then after waiting several minutes I turned it back on and it immediately went to the same "Dell" screen.  I tried this again two more times with the same results.  I'm running Windows Vista, if that makes any difference.  I've gone through the entire user manual with no success.  Until now, it's been very reliable with no issues (I've had it going on 3 years now.)  Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

WildBillN

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7- Thorium

Re: Inspiron 530 Boot Up Problem

What color is the power button when it won't boot? And is it 'solid' or 'blinking'?

It sounds like it may be going into Sleep or Hybernation when you just press the power button instead of actually powering itself off. So it comes back on immediately to the Dell splash screen when you push the button again.

What happens if you leave a bootable CD in the drive, then unplug from the wall and start over. Will it boot from the CD?

You might want to power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec.

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Then carefully re-seat RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if it'll boot now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos