Highlighted
Newshawk
1 Copper

Inspiron 530-Problem when attempting to install Windows XP Pro with Vista.

I am writing this for my son.  He has an Inspiron 530 with Vista Business.  He needs XP Pro to run some programs so he tried to install it on a second partition on an external hard drive.  It installed to the point where it was copying files onto the external hard drive and restarted to install XP.  However, when it restarted the computer proceeded normally until it came time to boot up Windows.  Then it gave the message, "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem  Could not read for the selected boot disk  Check boot path and disk hardware.  Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."  He tried changing the boot device to both the internal drive and the external drive with no change in results.  Does anyone have any ide what to do now?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

Re: Inspiron 530-Problem when attempting to install Windows XP Pro with Vista.

Most systems will not run an Operating System (and many will not boot) from a USB connected drive.  The best option is to partition the hard drive and install XP on a partition on the hard drive.  Or install a second internal hard drive and install XP on that (best option). 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos