Highlighted
Osarian
1 Copper

Inspiron 530 boot failure.. wont go past splash screen

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop that wont go past the POST.. it starts the the screen then freezes. I have unseated and cleaned it... then reseated... unplugged all but the Keyboard, Monitor and mouse. removed the battery and put back in to no avail. the F2 Setup and F12 Boot menu dont work either. Motherboard amber light working and powerup switch normal steady blue... any ideas anyone.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7- Thorium

Re: Inspiron 530 boot failure.. wont go past splash screen

Any beeps from the tower? Have you tried a different keyboard and mouse, or tested these on a different PC?

You may need to strip it down to bare minimum. Power off and unplug. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove all RAM modules, except the one in slot 1, remove all PCI cards, except video, disconnect all internal drives, except boot hard drive, disconnect network/phone cables etc. Then remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

If boots with only bare minimum, add back hardware a piece at a time until you ID the failing part. If it doesn't boot when stripped to bare minimum, swap all RAM modules into slot 1 to see if you can ID a bad module.

Be sure to do the 'battery thing' each time you add something back to make sure the system correctly recognizes the newly added hardware.

And if none of that helps, you may have a failed motherboard or CPU.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos