Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

December 21st, 2007 00:00

Inspiron 530 fans

My friend just got an Inspiron 530 and when he turned it on the system fans have been running constantly at 100% and haven't stopped. Any suggestions?

December 21st, 2007 01:00

Hello,

This is a know issue whith these BIOS ( 1.07 1.08 1.09 ). For fixing the issue you need to downgrade to the BIOS 1.05.

6 Posts

December 21st, 2007 13:00

Heads up!  Check the thread in this forum " 530 fan won't shut up"--been going for a few days.
Bottom line new bios issued 0n 12/21/07 to fix problem, ver1.0.10.    Workaround that has worked for me and a number of other people is to use F2 setup then go to CMOS settings and look at each entry and  write it down somewhere, but don't change any setting.  Then use 'esc' to go back to menu and select  "load default".  Then go to CMOS settings and change any of the settings that changed from what you had originally.  My machine has no floppy so I set "disk A' to none.  Still working after two days, but I'm waiting to see if ver. 1.0.10 has problems. 

2K Posts

December 21st, 2007 14:00

Bug in BIOS 107 has been fixed.  Do NOT flashback to 105.  Go to this link and download 110, follow instructions to install.

Added:  When BIOS releases are this troublesome, it typically takes more than one revision to fix all of it.  Keep checking back for revisions after 110.

Message Edited by x_lab rat on 12-21-2007 03:43 PM

13 Posts

December 22nd, 2007 14:00

An alternate to the .10 bios, is to just go into the bios and select restore defaults. save and exit.  If you do  not have a floppy you will also have to go into the bios and disable the floppy because default puts in.

Not that i have a problem with staying current on software, just a problem installing fixes that were pushed out quickly to calm a raging storm.

January 5th, 2008 20:00

I have the same problem with the cpu fan running full speed on my  530 : I use a workaround likte this :
Power down -- disconnect power cable - press start button -- wait a couple of minutes - reconnect power cable -- press start. 
Then the computer starts normally and the fan goes down in speed after the initial 2 sec fan test. I will rarely power down the computer but let it go to idle stat so this work around might work .. at least till I get some answer from support how to solve the problem.

January 10th, 2008 17:00

The simple solution is to update to BIOS version 1.0.10 released late december 2007

January 12th, 2008 11:00

The problem is fixed the new bios solved it

January 12th, 2008 14:00

Upgrade of Bios solved the problem.. Thanks for all help

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2008 00:00

Hi. I had the same issue. Once in  a while when powered up the fan would go into top speed(you could hear it, very loud). I tried Restarting the PC and it would not help, then i realized that if i did a shutdown and then started up, it was quiet and the fan seemed to be operating properly. Every once in a while it will do it, i have not isolated what i was doing that may cause it to go into high speed after restart. today i noticed this forum and downloaded and verified the new BIOS, all seemed well, but a few hours later after a restart it went into high speed again, it took a shutdown to fix it. So I will have to monitor it and see how often it happens again, i may have another issue. 

2K Posts

January 22nd, 2008 14:00

You're not the only one RM.  The BIOS flash fixes most of them, but not all.  You say the BIOS is now confirmed on the startup screen as 1.0.10?  Might as well get the problem registered with Tech Support, I don't think it's going to fix itself.

You did confirm that the fan connector is firmly seated?  Fast-fan can happen when the connection is loose. 
No Events found!