Highlighted
su_A_ve
2 Iron

Inspiron 530 - replacing drive, no Boot device available

I have an Inspiron 530 running Windows 10. Bios was set long ago (at windows 7 time) to SATA mode when I had replaced the original HDD to an SSD. The HDD is used as data drive.

Cloned the SSD to the new one fine, but the new one will not boot. I get:

Boot from AHCI CD-ROM:

No boot device available, Press ENTER key to retry

SATA-0: Installed (SSD)

SATA-4: Installed (DVD-ROM)

If I switch controller to IDE, Windows tries to boot and blue screens. I can fix this and switch it to IDE mode.

If I put back the original SSD (and change controller to RAID mode) it boot. This older system does not have AHCI mode (only IDE or RAID)

With RAID mode selected AHCI bios is installed, however, I do not get an option to press CTRL-I no matter what. With the original SSD I can enter.

Any clues?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
su_A_ve
2 Iron

RE: Inspiron 530 - replacing drive, no Boot device available

A couple of more notes.

If I boot to a Windows 10 repair mode I can see the drive. I tried to install windows from scratch to this SSD but it says it's missing drivers. I tried to add different Intel drivers but could not find any that would work. I even tried installing Windows 7 from DVD and won't because of missing drivers.

All this is while in RAID mode. IDE mode works fine with this SSD. Is it the drive itself??

0 Kudos

su_A_ve,

Unfortunately, Windows 10 is not supported on this system. You can also call into Dell Support at 1-800-624-9896 for support.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Both the Inspiron 530 and it's clone, the Vostro 200 support Windows 10.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/20007595/20985532#20985532

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19633860/20768925#20768925

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
su_A_ve
2 Iron

It is so weird. I did update to creators update without issues on the original SSD that is set up in raid mode (single drive). I guess the problem is the Intel Option ROM.

I tried installing from scratch to a different SSD but could only do it in IDE mode.

0 Kudos