Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2010 15:00

Inspiron 530 will not power up

Help! The power blinked in my home today (only out for a couple mins). Now my poor computer will not power up!

Inspiron 530

E5200 processor 2.5Ghz

Microsoft Vista

2Gb Memory

Right now the power switch will not light up. The green light on the back of the power source is lit. Inside the case there is a orange light near the top of the board, it is lit up also. I have disconnected everything from computer including monitor, mouse, and keyboard, with no change. I have disconnected and reseated internal drives, power source, and power switch to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 11th, 2010 18:00

If you use a power strip or surge protector, remove those and connect PC directly to the wall.

The green light on rear and orange light on motherboard only mean that it's receiving power, but not necessarily the right power. So it could be a blown power supply.

Ron

November 11th, 2010 19:00

Done, with no change.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 12th, 2010 11:00

Done, with no change.

I presume "done" means removing the power strip and/or surge protector. Bummer.

Guess you have to consider either that the power supply is blown and/or the motherboard got fried.

You could try stripping* it down to bare essentials by removing all PCI cards, except video, disconnecting all drives, except the boot hard drive, removing all RAM modules except the one in slot 1. Then remove the motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if it boots...

And you may want to file a claim right away with your power company. They may have insurance that will pay to fix/replace your PC.

Ron

*NOTE: Always power off and unplug, then press/hold power button on the tower for ~15 sec before removing/installing any parts.

1 Message

November 12th, 2010 12:00

I am having the exact same problem. Was told by Geek Squad it was the mother board. Replaced that and same problem. Replaced power supply. Now fans come on for a few seconds and dies. Small blue light on front panel also comes on. I have disconnected power to HD and same problem. Have disconnected  power to both CD and DVD drives and same problem. Only thing left to try is the memory card module on front panel. It seems to me the system is detecting a short and shuts itself down???  Any help?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 12th, 2010 19:00

I am having the exact same problem. Was told by Geek Squad it was the mother board. Replaced that and same problem. Replaced power supply. Now fans come on for a few seconds and dies. Small blue light on front panel also comes on. I have disconnected power to HD and same problem. Have disconnected  power to both CD and DVD drives and same problem. Only thing left to try is the memory card module on front panel. It seems to me the system is detecting a short and shuts itself down???  Any help?

Or the CPU chip is D.O.A.   :emotion-9:

Ron

1 Message

October 13th, 2012 04:00

I have the same problem. After working ok for about 4 years, this morning the Dell Inspiron 530 didn't powerup any more.

Green light on the back.

I've tried different power options. Decoupled attached devices doesn't make a difference.

Was this ever resolved ?

No Events found!