Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 29th, 2012 11:00

Inspiron 530 won't post and has soild amber lights, no beep codes HELP!

OK first off it is a dell inspiron 530 (not the slim), I have tried many things so this may be a little drawn out. So I will start at the beginning...

I am not sure if i had a power spike or what but my CPU would not boot when the psu got power the fans would instantly power on even with out me pressing the power switch. I had already upgraded the psu, so I then reinstalled the older psu but the fans instantly kicked on. My next guess was the motherboard, which i ordered and installed. now all I get is the solid dual amber lights. I then ordered a psu tester, both psu tested in working order.

I then ordered a new processor which even though the rarely ever fail (never overclocked the processor or ram)...same problem.

Now with both motherboards, i have reseated all cables,tried different ram, resetting cmos, changing the cmos battery, different psu, different processors, different video cards along with the on-board video all to the same conclusion...dual solid amber lights. i am at a loss. I even RMA the motherboard that I purchased and they tested it and said it worked.

I have read all the previous post, dual solid amber lights, no beep codes...If the power light is solid amber check that all power cables are securely connected to the system board. Ensure that the main power cable is securely connected to the system board.

thanks for any help,

Corey

6.4K Posts

May 29th, 2012 22:00

When you tried a second motherboard did you remember to connect the four pin power connector for the processor?  Your description reminds me of a non-operating processor, and I don't understand why you would get identical symptoms between two different motherboards unless the processor was bad, the processor was not supported on that motherboard, or it had no power.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2012 23:00

Thanks for replying, Yes i did plug in the four-pin power connecter.

They the problems were different between the first motherboard and the second. The first mother board when i gave it power the fans would come on with out me turning on the computer, this along with the two solid amber lights.

The second board (the exact same board) the fans do not come on until I press the power button but I still have the two solid amber lights.

If i reset the bios could it be that my processors are not supported? the motherboard is a LGA 775 both processors are quad core (2.3GHZ and 2.6GHZ)

6.4K Posts

May 30th, 2012 00:00

Was the computer operational when you received it, and if so, did it have a quad core processor?  The earlier Inspiron 530 computers would not support quad core, only up to dual core.  There is a thread on this forum in which this is discussed:  Inspiron 530 Motherboard.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2012 10:00

Yes I have owned the computer for 3+ years, quad core 2.3GHZ is the chip that came with the computer when I bought it.

Both motherboards are Dell Inspiron E530 RY007.

From the other message board post sounds like that could be my problem.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2012 11:00

Sorry both motherboards are not RY007

No Events found!