Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2011 12:00

Inspiron 530S - will not boot - Blue light ON

I have a an inspiron 530S that gives problems to startup.  I power it on and steady blue lignt on.  No dell screen on monitor, no beeps, nothing.  Fans are on. PWS light is on.  I sometimes get it to work by resetting the bios.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 29th, 2011 13:00

When was last time you replaced that motherboard battery? If resetting BIOS gets it to boot, that might be a sign the battery is dead.

Ron

September 29th, 2011 15:00

i already did that but still having the same issues.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 29th, 2011 16:00

And that was a fresh motherboard battery?

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or another monitor on this PC?

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode? (Reboot and press F8)

Do you use on-board graphics or an add-in video card?

Ron

October 4th, 2011 12:00

yes it is a fresh motherboard battery.

monitor works on another pc.

I can boot in safe mode if I get it to boot.

onboard graphics.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 4th, 2011 14:00

Since it boots in Safe Mode, that suggests that something loading during normal start-up is causing the problem.

Easiest thing to try is boot in Safe Mode and run msconfig. On Startup tab uncheck everything, except firewall and anti-malware suite. Then reboot normally. If that works, you'll get a warning box. Just put a check in "don't ask again". Then go back into msconfig and re-check one or a few items at a time, and reboot, until you find the one causing the problem.

If none of that helps, it could be a corrupted video driver. Grab a fresh download of the right on-board video driver for your model from Dell's support site. You can do that on any PC and copy onto USB memory stick or burn on a CD.

Then boot ithe 530S n Safe Mode and use Device Manager to uninstall the on-board video. Reboot and when prompted, install the fresh driver download from the memory stick and reboot again.

No Events found!