Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2009 13:00

Inspiron 531 1.0.13 bios update problem, wont flash

I am trying to update my bios for my inspirion 531 to the latest bios as i am running 1.0.6, when i run the program on my desktop it creates a item named winflash.sys but wont do anything past that.  Is there any additional programs I need? I am really trying to avoid having to call outside of warranty tech support for this.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2009 18:00

Anyone?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 10th, 2009 07:00

ZenN1nja,

You must close all other applications before running the update. Did you check this?

2 Posts

October 1st, 2009 19:00

I had the same problem at first with the message about it not being able to find WinFlash.sys.  Instead of saving the BIOS upgrade utility executable on your desktop, try saving it at C:\ instead.  That seems to allow the utility to find the WinFlash.sys file after it extracts it (probably the utility has a problem with long file paths, or paths with spaces or something like that).  I was able to get the BIOS upgrade utility to work after saving it to the root of my C drive and running it from there.

1 Message

November 17th, 2009 06:00

I am having this same issue. I have tried moving the files to the c: drive, as well as tried each bios upgrade starting with ver 1.0.8. I currently have ver 1.0.7, and I am trying to upgrade to 1.0.13 so I may upgrade my processor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to update my bios for my inspirion 531 to the latest bios as i am running 1.0.6, when i run the program on my desktop it creates a item named winflash.sys but wont do anything past that.  Is there any additional programs I need? I am really trying to avoid having to call outside of warranty tech support for this.

45 Posts

March 20th, 2010 07:00

I had the same problem at first with the message about it not being able to find WinFlash.sys.  Instead of saving the BIOS upgrade utility executable on your desktop, try saving it at C:\ instead.  That seems to allow the utility to find the WinFlash.sys file after it extracts it (probably the utility has a problem with long file paths, or paths with spaces or something like that).  I was able to get the BIOS upgrade utility to work after saving it to the root of my C drive and running it from there.

Adm7 plus Chris M.,

I have a Inspiron 531S and having the same problem.  Thought there could have been a problem in the download so did a second with the same issue.  Have also done the C:\ for attempts to install, also closed all programs with no success, have attempted command line operation without success, have also done from Limited User account later did it from Administrator account also F8 into Cmd Line still without success.

I have Win7 64bit O/S, after upgrading from Vista SP2 32bit, any additional information can be provided if asked for, it could get to be a rather long message so do not recommend going into detail.  I installed my own O/S, I have done this before and know how.  My experience is between Intermediate and Expert (this one is a 'drip under pressure' and that is not me).

Short update:

Have moved both EXE and SYS files to Windows/System32/Drivers folder without success, created an ICON for the EXE file and ran from Admin access plus Limited User without success.  Also created an ICON for the C:\ (root) with both files in that root area without success also running as LU and Admin with same results.

729 Posts

March 20th, 2010 10:00

I don't think this particular BIOS update is 64bit compatible.  The 531/531s were never sold with a 64bit operating system.

45 Posts

March 20th, 2010 18:00

jsktx,

Thank you for this info, I had posted in another area and was told it should work, O/S makes no difference.  Yet it still will not update.  I have Win7 64bit running on this system now and it is much better than the Vista 32bit that came installed.  I just would like for Dell to give the full information about this type of difficulty instead of just remaining out of touch with their customers.

I have found forums are the best place to get information about problems we have.  Most companies just will not share the information.

Again, "jsktx" thank you for this info,

729 Posts

March 20th, 2010 19:00

I don't know if this will actually work or not, but you can try.

• Burn the BIOS update to a CD.
  • Boot from the Dell Driver & Utlitlies CD.
  • Choose exit to DOS.
  • Switch CDs and run the BIOS update.

Like I said I don't know if this will work.  Good luck.

45 Posts

March 24th, 2010 13:00

jsktx,

Very short, it did not work.

45 Posts

March 31st, 2010 16:00

To all that read about this problem, I have attempted all that have been posted here and nothing worked.  Including the creating a CD and booting from other CDs and it still will not load.  Have also gone in and created an ICON to run the program from the 'Program files (x86)' plus the 'C:\' (root) and it still will not work even when using the 'Compatibility' tab and selecting the Windows Vista SP2 and each and all of the selectable boxes beneath as well as the 'Run as Administrator'.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 31st, 2010 16:00

Have any of you tried updating to BIOS version 1.0.12, instead of  to 1.0.13?

According to the notes, .13 only adds support for additional CPUs, over those supported in .12. So unless you intend to use a CPU that only .13 supports, .12 should be sufficient. At least until, version .14 and/or they fix .13.

Keep in mind, there's always a small chance a BIOS flash update will fail, meaning your motherboard is toast. So unless, a BIOS update fixes a specific problem you're having, is it even worth updating? Dell typically covers failed flash updates only if the system is still under warranty. :emotion-5:

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 31st, 2010 17:00

BTW: 1.0.11 is the last one marked "Urgent". So you might use that one. v1.0.12 only adds new CPU support.

Ron

45 Posts

March 31st, 2010 19:00

RoHe,

Thank you for this info, I have v1.0.12 on my computer.  Last update done before changing to Win7 64 bit.  That last update was done while Win Vista SP 2 was causing all of my problems, in other ways.  My HP printer worked just fine with Vista 32bit, I was told the BIOS needed to be updated because that is the problem with the update of the HP software to run my printer, HP Officejet 4580 ALL-IN-ONE.  The latest update of the software for my HP is v13.

I am not sharp enough to know about what is updated by any one version of Dell BIOS, just know that HP had informed me the BIOS needed to be updated.  That is what is keeping my system from running with my Win7.  It seems the Device driver for this printer is not in Win7 because the FULL as well as the BASIC software from HP cannot find the printer driver.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2010 19:00

It's a whole lot easier for HP to blame the printer problem on Dell than it is for HP to fix it. :emotion-4:

The only difference between BiOS v.12 and BIOS v.13 appears to be support for new CPU, so I don't think that's going to help with the HP problem.

You should post your problem about installing this printer under Win7 64-bit on the Printer forum so the experts over there can help you get it installed. You may need a Vista-64 bit version of the software if there's no Win7 64-bit version. Or you have to run it in compatibility mode. But let the printer experts have a go at helping you.

Ron

45 Posts

April 5th, 2010 20:00

ROHE,

Thank you for these suggestions and valued information about what the BIOS updates are covering.  Being just a 'very curious user' and not really an expert.  I know about much of the acronyms that are used, maybe not some of the newer ones.  I have been using these systems since about 1984 and 19" main frame with 64bit processors (Data Generals) that used teletypes for input and output, no monitors.  First desktop had Win3.1 16bit and I have progressed to Win7 64bit, first one at 64.  I feel I am in the very bottom rung of Expert.  Do access the Registry files often where most people fear to tread.  Have only once required a reload of my software, Win98SE about October of 2005.  Have loaded my own systems before and did the Win7 64 bit as well.  I am on BIOS v1.0.12 at this time.  Yes to your suggestion that HP is just passing the buck . . . because I have gone into their software and there is NOT any reference to Win7 32bit or 64bit only WinXP 64bit for loading a driver.  I have also told them this and they still will not do anything.

Will do the "Printer" thingy you suggest and will also report back with or without success.  I feel info, good or bad, is no good unless shared.

Edited by ME: That link you so graciously provide cannot be found.  I will search for a port to dock my ship, er, post my problem.

No Events found!