pinnacle2009
1 Copper

Inspiron 531 Ram question

I am about to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 64-bit. I am using Ubuntu atm.

I also want to upgrade my ram. I only have 2GB in it right now. Before I buy any ram, I want to know what is the max amount of ram the 531 mobo's can hold? I play a lot of games and would like to get 6-8GB.

Also, I have read that the 531 mobos can use 800mhz ram. Would the difference between the 667 and 800 be noticeable?

And..this is more of a gaming question, but since it also involves hardware, I will ask here. I would like to get a ATI 4870 GPU of some sort. What brands should I look out for? And what PSU size should I look at getting? (Would be getting Antec PSU)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Inspiron 531 Ram question

pinnacle2009 

Maximum memory supported by the Inspiron 531 is 4gb [4x1gb modules].

See HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

Run the Windows Upgrade Advisor before you spend any money on new hardware and the very expensive full version of Win 7. It will tell you if you have a CPU that's 64 bit capable and what other hardware might need upgrading. Since your computer cannot use more than 4 GB of ram, the 32 bit win 7 would be fine. If you have Vista or XP, install that first so you can use an upgrade disk.The Inspiron 531 is more for everyday use and is not considered a great gaming computer.

0 Kudos
jsktx
3 Cadmium

I would follow Mary's advice.  Although the 531 does support Windows 7 32bit, there doesn't seem to be an Away Mode driver for the 64bit version.  This is not a show stopper, but does affect some of the features, like sleep.  As for memory limits, THIS might interest you.  Doesn't mean you can install 6 to 8 GBs, but it's promissing.  Also you won't see much of an impact going from 667 to 800 mhz memory.  I did it and didn't notice a thing.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz – Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 SSD – Western Digital 1TB SATA 3 HDD – ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550W PSU - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Dell E2211H Flat Panel Monitor
0 Kudos
pinnacle2009
1 Copper

Ohhh dang. I have already ordered the Os..

Would upgrading the CPU be my only real bet? What are my options?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pinnacle2009
1 Copper

Just noticed I said 6-8GB of ram.. I am not sure what I was thinking then. :S

I only need 4. I am not a huge gamer. I do not play any games that a 4870 cant handle. That is probably a little overkill actually. I think the most "high-requirement" game I will be playing is World of Warcraft or Oblivion. From what I have seen and used in the past, I do not NEED a gaming computer to run these games at high settings.

Soooo, with that being said, If I were going to run 4GB Ram, a ATI 4870 1GB 256-bit, and Windows 7, would I need to upgrade anything else? I am running linux and do not have XP or Vista on a boot disk anywhere, so I am not sure if the Windows Upgrade Adviser will even work. (Upgrading to Win7 is oblviously out of the question also)

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Would upgrading the CPU be my only real bet? What are my options?

pinnacle2009

You can use any of the following:

AMD Athlon 64X2 kit, 5600+ 2.8G, 1MX2, Dual Core, 89Watt
AMD Athlon 64X2 Kit, 5600+ 2.9G, 1MX2, Dual Core, 89Watt
AMD Athlon 64X2 Kit, 6000+ 3.0G, 2MX2, Dual Core, 89 Watt  [Windsor]

Plus the 6000+ 3.1 Ghz 89W Brisbane, see HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Prior to upgrading the processor, you need to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Just noticed I said 6-8GB of ram.. I am not sure what I was thinking then. :S

I only need 4. I am not a huge gamer. I do not play any games that a 4870 cant handle. That is probably a little overkill actually. I think the most "high-requirement" game I will be playing is World of Warcraft or Oblivion. From what I have seen and used in the past, I do not NEED a gaming computer to run these games at high settings.

Soooo, with that being said, If I were going to run 4GB Ram, a ATI 4870 1GB 256-bit, and Windows 7, would I need to upgrade anything else? I am running linux and do not have XP or Vista on a boot disk anywhere, so I am not sure if the Windows Upgrade Adviser will even work. (Upgrading to Win7 is oblviously out of the question also)

pinnacle2009

The 531 only has a 300w power supply, suggest you upgrade to a 500w unit.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
jsktx
3 Cadmium

Retail copies of Windows 7 should have two DVDs.  One is 32bit, the other 64bit.  You can still use the 32bit if you want.  It contains all the drivers you'll need for a 531.  As for running the Advisor you're right, not going to happen with your current setup.  When installing the OS it does a check of its own so if anything is a problem it will let you know.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz – Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 SSD – Western Digital 1TB SATA 3 HDD – ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550W PSU - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Dell E2211H Flat Panel Monitor
0 Kudos