Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2010 11:00

Inspiron 531 w/ 4670 card - shutting down while gaming

I have an inspiron 531, with a 4670 video card. When I'm doing normal stuff, like web browsing and such, the pc is fine. When I try to play more intensive games, it will randomly shut down. I primarily play Everquest, so I am playing for about 5-10 minutes, then shut down. I've had this video card for about a year now, never had any problems before

I have a feeling it's the video card - the past few weeks, I've heard a grinding or revving motor sound coming from the card (or maybe the hard drive?), sounded very labored.

I don't know much about these things, I was hoping someone could help. I am looking into getting a new system, but would like to know if I need a new card too.

I noticed in the catalyst menu, it shows running at 92 - too hot?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated !

729 Posts

July 12th, 2010 07:00

Definitely sounds like the graphics card is overheating.  Unfortunately the airflow in an Inspiron 531 isn't that good.  I recently had to replace a fried graphics card in my Inspiron 531.  You could try installing a slot fan next to the graphics card to improve airflow around it.  Either one that blows air on the card or draws hot air out.

8 Posts

July 12th, 2010 10:00

I would like to buy through Dell, rather toss it on the existing Dell account, then rack up another c/c.

Anyway, all I could find through Dell was this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cooling/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1311368

Would this work? Maybe I'll buy 2.

Thanks for answering.

729 Posts

July 12th, 2010 13:00

That fan has a molex connection and the 531 doesn't come with any molex power connectors.  So you need something like a SATA to molex adapter and extension to reach the fan.

8 Posts

July 12th, 2010 15:00

I think that grinding sound was the motor of the fan going on the card itself. Now with nothing running on my pc, the thing is 102. I don't hear any sound coming from the card. Guess there is no way to fix the fan once the motor goes?

Looks like I may just have to get a new card, or a couple fans or something.

1.7K Posts

July 12th, 2010 16:00

Did you buy the video card new?  Most video cards have more that a one year warranty so if this is less than one year old as you mentioned, you may want to check with the manufacturer.  Adding a slot fan will do very little.  I would pull the card out for now and just connect to your onboard graphics until you can get a replacement given the overheating situation as this particular card should never run that hot and it won't last much longer with a bad fan.  

August 2nd, 2010 23:00

I was having a lot of noise coming from my Inspiron 531, I opened up the computer and took Qtips and cleaned all the fans well, the Cpu fan, and power fan. Then I took canned air and blew it all out. The noise went away and was quiet and the computer ran a bit better. It still didn't fix my lockups when checking email, but it's completely quiet.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 01:00

I think that grinding sound was the motor of the fan going on the card itself. Now with nothing running on my pc, the thing is 102. I don't hear any sound coming from the card. Guess there is no way to fix the fan once the motor goes?

Looks like I may just have to get a new card, or a couple fans or something.

If you have a full-height case, you could install a Zalman copper heatsink fan like I did with my 4670.

No Events found!