Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 18th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 537 - Won't Power On - But Power Supply has Green LED Lit

My four year old Inspiron 537 minitower suddenly won't power on - but the green LED on the power supply is lit up. I've tried plugging it into various outlets - same result.

Since the green LED is lit on the power supply, does that indicate that the power supply (is most likely) OK and I should start looking for other suspect parts first?

What are the best next steps to track down the problem? 

Thanks in advance for any/all wisdom shared..

Mark

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2013 12:00

reMark1

When you connected the system to different outlets, was it connected directly to the outlet, without the surge protector?

As the button LED is not lite and the power supply fan does not run, could be a PSU failure.

Because you need a 'Known' working PSU to check the computer, that should be the first part to replace.

The Dell Inspiron 537 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

reMark1

Is the power button LED, Solid White, Solid Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Have you made any changes to the 535/545/546/537 recently?

The Dell Inspiron 535/545/546/537 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, can be found in the Setup Guide HERE in PDF form.

Bev.

14 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me Bev.

In answer to your questions:

- The power button is off and there are no (POST) sounds - and power supply fan is not running.

- I haven't made any recent changes at all.

Thanks for the manual - that will be helpful as I take it apart.

(If it weren't for that "friendly looking" green glow of that LED on the back of the power supply - my inclination would be to replace it - but to me the green indicates it's getting power and it's OK - but that's only based on instinct,.)

So with that information - any ideas on next steps now?

Thanks again so much for you initial response - I really appreciate it!

- reMark1

14 Posts

Thanks again Bev for the super fast response!

You mentioned the Inspiron 620 - but I'm guessing you copied/pasted a previous response that would apply to my Inspiron 537.

Do you think this would do? http://www.microcenter.com/product/367690/Silver_Series_ILS-500-2_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

It's 20+4 pin w/4 SATA connectors.

Thanks,

Mark

14 Posts

December 18th, 2013 13:00

(Bev - Now I'm starting to see why you carry the "Rockstar" designation - you deserve it!)

Here's a unit that Gold Series unit with a 3 year warranty - any thoughts on this one? http://www.microcenter.com/product/367693/Gold_Series_ILG-500-2_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

Is there a way for me to check the dimensions of the existing power supply without taking it out - so I can get the best fitting one?

Again, many thanks,

Mark

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2013 13:00

reMark1

My bad, I meant to type 537. :emotion-10:

The details posted are correct for Inspiron 537 Mini Tower.

The Silver Series ILS-500-2 500 Watt ATX Power Supply will be compatible with the 537 MT, but personally I would purchase a better quality PSU with a longer warranty.

Bev.

14 Posts

December 18th, 2013 14:00

Thanks ever so much Bev - I just ordered the Gold unit and I'll pick it up tonight - hopefully I'll have time to try it out..

I'll keep you posted.

Best,

reMark1

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2013 14:00

reMark1

Mark,

The Gold Series ILG-500-2 500 Watt ATX Power Supply should also work in the 537 MT, at least it has a three year warranty.

Sorry, don't know of any way to check an installed PSU dimensions without opening the case/chassis.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2013 15:00

reMark1

Mark,

:emotion-21:

Bev.

14 Posts

December 18th, 2013 21:00

( So an update - the ATX power supply I got was too long - this may take a few days now before I can get the parts situation solved out. )

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2013 07:00

reMark1

Mark,

Have you tried installing the power supply, because my understanding is, that a standard ATX power supply will fit the Inspiron 537 chassis?

Bev.

14 Posts

December 19th, 2013 08:00

Bev - Yes - Short Answer: I tried installing - that's how I found it didn't fit. :emotion-6:

Long Answer if you like details only:

The PC case has a two metal tabs the come from the top of  the PC case. One tab actually sits in a rectangular dimple in the top back of the PSU, (This may be impediment # 1 - as I'll need a replacement that has a similar dimple; wonder if they did this to force this to be a custom part? Hopefully not..)  The second tab, which is right behind the first, acts as a stop to prevent the PSU from falling once the screw holding it in are removed. (Once I removed the screws, I had to push on this second tab which released the PSU that could then be slid back/out of the case.)

(I actually took a video on my phone of the PSU/all it's connections - and if I stop it at certain points  and screenshot it- you can see this 2nd tab - the one that acts as a stop. I wanted to post an annotated of the screenshot, but once I ran into the 64k file size limit here - I didn't have time to resize it - but I have that available if anyone really is curious. Also - I could take a still shot of the inside of the case. But I think you get the point.)

I'm trying to figure out when I can return this PSU one and get another - it may be a few days away - but I'll post back the results.

Thanks,

Mark

14 Posts

December 20th, 2013 08:00

Bev / All-

Here are two photos that match up with my previous post about the clips that are found in the Inspiron 537 case. for the PSU. I've tried to annoate the pics in red. See them towards the upper right in that  photo. In the photo of the PSU you can see the indentation on the top of the PSU - specifically on the (top) back right that corresponds to the clip in the case.

Any thoughts or experiences on this? I'm not seeing that indentation on other ATX PSUs - or maybe I'm confused outright?

Thanks in advance as usual!

-Mark 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 20th, 2013 12:00

reMark1

Mark,

You are not confused, it looks like Dell has added an unnecessary component to their power supply, because the four screws holding the PSU to the back panel, is more than adequate to support the weight of a power supply.

Using the four screws is all I've ever used in all my home built desktops for over 12 years and replacement generic ATX PSU's in Dell's and other OEM's desktops and never had any issues.  

Bev.

14 Posts

December 31st, 2013 09:00

Hi All-

So here's the follow-up:

I got a reconditioned OEM PSU - which was nice and clean and had all the same dimples and slots - with a couple of scratches - but great. I put it in place, connected everything - and got exactly the same result as the original PSU - which is the glowing green LED on the back - but no power anywhere else it seems.

So now I'm starting to think it's the motherboard - any thoughts on that?

What do you think my next step should be?

I really don't want to buy a new machine and move everything - I'm hoping this machine can still be recovered - or is that a pipe-dream?

Thanks in advance for all wisdom and thoughts shared.

-Mark

No Events found!