Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 1st, 2017 15:00

Inspiron 5675 Gaming computer, PSU (power supply unit) replacement?

Hi all. Just purchased an Inspiron 5675 Gaming Computer. While waiting for it to arrive, I noticed the PSU was a measly 460W. I wanted to upgrade this and wasn't sure which PSUs were compatible.

I read several threads that the stock PSU might be proprietary and any other PSU installed could run nto issues with fitting and/or diagnostic LEDs causing problems.

Anyone have this system and found a successful PSU replacement? I haven't been able to look inside the system yet since I'm waiting for it to arrive but I was hoping any modular PSU would fit and work. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 1st, 2017 16:00

Dell, over the years, has tended to underrate power supplies.  I wouldn't be concerned unless you start adding power hungry add ons.  I don't know about this model but Dell has used standard ATX power supplies for quite a while.

367 Posts

December 1st, 2017 21:00

There really has not been anyone who has installed 3rd party PSU's in this system mostly since they choose to buy the Dell OEM 850w PSU (Part # N1WJD 850w, 240v, APFC, EPA, E-Star, Delta

48Y6D 850w, 240v, APFC, EPA, E-Star, Huntkey). But theoretically something like a EVGA Supernova 750 B1 would work.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

12 Posts

December 1st, 2017 22:00

The only downside is Dell's OEM 850W PSU (which I've been told maxes out at 600W) part is almost 1/3 of the price of the computer itself which I believe is not economically feasible. IMHO, no PSU should be that expensive when looking at it from a user standpoint.

Do you know why that specific EVGA model would "theoretically" work?

15 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 08:00

Any standard power supply can work but may require case modification.  The attached image shows a Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M installed in my system.  As you can see installing it required removing both plastic and metal from the case.

You may want to read this thread that covers 3.3 and 5 combined voltages.

1 Attachment

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 23:00

Thanks for the image. That helps a lot. I did read that thread, but I am not too worried about the voltage issue. I just wanted more "headroom" if I am going to be using this PC for a long time and possibly overclocking and/or adding things down the road.

So what you're saying is I have basically have two choices:

1) Purchase the Dell OEM 850W Modular PSU, and it should be okay without any issues since the PSU was designed to fit in the case. This will provide some ample increase in power over the 460W, or

2) Purchase an aftermarket PSU such as the Thermaltake (what you have), EVGA (what others recommended), or another brand and try to custom fit the PSU into the case so the back socket is exposed. This will require some cutting/modifications. If I go with this option, what about the issue with wiring for the diagnostic LEDs and so forth that I read about?

367 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 14:00

Dells need Units that have AT LEAST 25 AMPS on each of the 3.3v and 5v rails as well as 150W combined on those rails are a minimum.

This is why an EVGA 750B1 works fine in most all dells that it physically fits but the B2 and BQ models of the same 750w do not.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 110-B1-0750-VR

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

15 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 17:00

The factory 460W power supply has a 3.3V rail at 17A (or 56W) and 5V rail at 25A (or 125W) with a max combined of 142W. Those would be the true minimum numbers. That being said my Thermaltake power supply has a combined rating of 130W and works fine.

The EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 will not fit a stock Inspiron 5675. It will require removing plastic and maybe some metal from the case. It does have it does have one interesting feature as it looks like it can be mounted flipped over drawing air from inside the case.

There is no diagnostic wiring (the diagnostic is internal to the factory Dell power supply). My factory power supply used 4 wiring extensions/adapters. I only used the two SATA ones but only really needed the slimline optical drive power.

24 pin motherboard extension cable
4 pin 12V extension cable
SATA to three SATA power connectors (hard drive power)
SATA to one SATA power connector and one slimline optical drive power

If your computer doesn't come with the slimline adapter I think the one below will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Slimline-Sata-Adapter-Power/dp/B002O1W6ZK

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 21:00

Elprodel999, sure, I understand the minimum amps on those rails and I accept that the EVGA 750 B1 will provide adequate power.

However, do you have both the 5675 system AND the EVGA PSU installed right now, or are you simply stating that this PSU would "theoretically" fit based on your knowledge and experience?

I ask this because if you look at the picture of the EVGA model you recommended (or really any other aftermarket PSU for that matter), one will have to cut the back of their Dell case to make the PSU fit so the electronic plug socket is exposed. Please refer to LostSavage's posts and previous picture.

So, yes, in theory, the EVGA would "fit" and "provide enough amps" but it's not an easy workaround where you simply plug it in without changing anything. I was hoping for a simple solution where I would have not to cut or mess around with modifying Dell's existing case. Hope that makes sense.

December 6th, 2017 11:00

I removed the back black plastic and was able to use a 850 watt power supply ATX with no problem, it works quite well.  Though I would say that overall you would be better off replacing the case all together eventually, at least that is my plan, the air flow on this thing isn't great especially if you plan to change the video card to something other than a blower style cooler.

No Events found!