Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 27th, 2017 06:00

Inspiron 5675 - Random Lockups - looking for guidance

I recently purchased a Inspiron 5675 (A10-9700, 8GB, Radeon RX 560, 7200rpm 1TB drive).    I have been having random lockups (system freezes, mouse\keyboard unresponsive, after few seconds monitor blacks out.) Only option is to power off and power on system, at which point Windows recognizes a crash and attempts a repair.  I can perform or skip the repair and bring it back online.  Windows event logs only show the restart. No notable events leading to the lockup.  These are occurring anywhere between 3 and 12 hours apart, at random

Lockups have occurred: During windows updates, when the system is idle (day/night), while installing Steam client.

Things I have tried:  Full Factory reset, Updating Bios to 1.3.6, Installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and all patches, updating AMD Radeon Drivers. Verifying all other drivers are up to date. Verified that the USB Wake Option is enabled in Bios, Turned off system sleep in Windows10.

Online, and Pre-boot diagnostics all come back green.

I thought it may be heat as there are only 2 small 92mm fans (heatsink, rear case).  The system is in a well ventilated, cool location.  Temp logging shows cpu temps between 28c and 50c.  The last registered temp before the last lockup showed 32c.

Has anyone else had similar issues?  Am I missing a troubleshooting step?  Is it time to give up and call into support?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 27th, 2017 11:00

Have you reseated RAM modules, video card, cable connectors, etc in their slots?

Have you disabled Hibernation and USB Selective Suspend in the active Windows Power Plan?

Since you've tried a lot of things, and it's under warranty, it might be the time to call Tech Support...

December 27th, 2017 14:00

I reseated the cables, jumpers, cards, ram, etc.  I have disabled USB Selective Suspend.  I'll give it another go and see if it still locks.  If so, looks like its a call to support.

December 29th, 2017 06:00

No luck. Looks like its time for a call into support. Thanks for the suggestions.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 29th, 2017 10:00

If you are within the 30 day purchase period, I would be returning the unit for a full refund.

6 Posts

December 30th, 2017 17:00

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have the exact same problem. :(

6 Posts

December 30th, 2017 17:00

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have the same problem. :(

December 31st, 2017 03:00

Tech support agreed something is wrong with the device. I have shipped it to the repair depot.  (10-14 day turnaround).

I'm unable to do an actual return\exchange as I purchased it early Nov, but didn't open until 12/24.  Lesson learned. Will open and test right away next time.

I'll post results once I have the device returned, along with Dell's official repair details.

6 Posts

January 1st, 2018 10:00

Thanks, they also asked me to ship it back. Waiting for the box to ship it back. I'll update you also on what happens.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 1st, 2018 18:00

I pinged my Dell tech contact since there are now a couple of threads with this same issue.

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 08:00

I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices properties and also in Device Manager -> USB Controllers properties for each one of the entries and so far the PC hasn't hanged. Will monitor for a few more days and update.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

Emitesh- If freezes, you should probably contact Dell Tech Support ASAP and arrange to ship it back, as others in this thread have already done.

I thought Dell was going to collect Service Tag numbers (Do NOT post them here!) from affected users in all of the related threads to see if they could identify a common component that might be causing these freezes, but I haven't seen any public requests from Dell asking for them. Don't know if they contacted users directly via Private Message through this forum, so check your inbox. (Click the Messages link near the top of any forum page after you log in.)

January 3rd, 2018 14:00

No direct messages yet, but then they have my system in hand. I'll report back once they update the diagnostics\repair info.

January 3rd, 2018 17:00

I too had the same issue and went through similar stetps with dell support, ( waste of time ) I offered all the logs in the world, they said it was a software issue to do a fresh install. I explained that the device was only 2 days old they insisted.  I did a fresh install and it still happened. a tech updated the bois to the latest version and said that it was fixed even though it locked up while the tech was on the phone. he said that it is normal and just a network connectivity issue. Next they were going to issue a replacement device. I thought to myself that would be great. but they decided to cancel that because they cant do that because its a software issue they deemed. They were willing to send a tech out to reinstall the OS, I explained to the support guy that we have already done that. after being escalated up the chain they were willing to replace the device, but they didnt have the same model. they wanted to exchange it with a 1700x and gtx1060 3gb gpu, I explained that it was a downgrade to go that path and he assured me that it wasn't that it would be just fine. I asked him how I'm supposed to run freesync on a gtx1060 card. I gave up. it was the worst 3 weeks of my life dealing with dell support. I never found out what was causing the issue.  I was actually able to take it back to best buy and exchange it, they have an extended return time due to the holidays that I was not aware of. I really do like the computer. I would really also like to know what the cause of this was and what the fix is. According to dell this hasn't happened to anyone else and its not a known issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2018 16:00

Glad BB exchanged it for you. Any signs of the same problem on the new system?

January 4th, 2018 18:00

yes I have the same or similar problem. I actually was able to see a bsod but couldn't catch what it said. I looked for the dump file but couldn't find it. I started another support call with bb, I do know I'm on the stock bios and it happens a lot less then with the new bois's

No Events found!