Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 15th, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 5675 - Ryzen 7 1700x

I purchased the Inspiron 5675 with a Ryzen 7 1700x cpu and can't seem to get the clock speed to go much over 3.4.  The website lists 3.8 boost and other places list it as 3.9 but mine isn't going anywhere near that.  I ran Cinebench and also tried the game Titan Quest since it's a single core cpu intensive game to try to stress the cpu and get it to clock higher but no luck.  

I tried calling Dell support about this but after 2 disconnects and endless transfers I gave up for today.  Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

2.3K Posts

August 15th, 2017 16:00

Is Ryzen is a new platform I can only think of 3 things.  First there might be a BIOS setting preventing it.  Look for turbo boost or speed and see if its enabled.  Second its possible that even with you stressing the system, it didn't have a need to boost itself.  Or third as the platform is new, there may be some bugs to work out.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 15th, 2017 19:00

Thank you for your message.

The basic clock speed of the processor is 3.4GHz & the max (turbo) speed is 3.8GHz.

May be the application you are using is not demanding much of the processor power.

You can try using the AMD Ryzen Master Utility for Overclocking.

Calling Dell support will not be of much help here as overclocking is not supported & does not fall under their scope of support.

8 Posts

August 16th, 2017 01:00

Is Ryzen is a new platform I can only think of 3 things.  First there might be a BIOS setting preventing it.  Look for turbo boost or speed and see if its enabled.  Second its possible that even with you stressing the system, it didn't have a need to boost itself.  Or third as the platform is new, there may be some bugs to work out.

Hi, thank you very much for responding.  I double checked the BIOS and Dell has it locked down pretty hard.  There is no option for any type of turbo or speed boost.  I ran a whole bunch of things to put even more stress on the cpu, I ran 4 games, and ran cinebench all at the same time with the cpu cores all at 100% and still no boost over 3.4 GHz.  It's possible Dell has it somehow limited but then it'd be false advertising as a 3.8 boost if that is unattainable at this point.

During the whole time I was using HWiNFO64 to monitor the cpu clocks.

I also tried what Sreejith R suggested and used AMD Ryzen Master Utility to overclock the cpu.   I had all threads to 3.8 and was using HWiNFO64 again to monitor the cpu clocks but also used the AMD Ryzen Master Utility as well to do the same thing and also monitor the temperature of the cpu.

The weird thing is that even overclocked I got the same result on running the Cinebench CPU test which is just over 1500 while having HWiNFO64 and AMD Ryzen Master Utility show me 3.8ghz clock.  I looked at a bunch of reviews and overclocks on this CPU online and 1500 score is for a normal 3.4GHz clocked cpu.  So at this point I'm left with 2 guesses which may or may not be correct.  One, the chip is limited somehow by the motherboard chipset drivers or two, the RAM running at 2400 is limiting the chip, since I saw a lot of reviewers say Ryzen really benefits from faster ram because of the infinity fabric.  If that is the case however, the 3.8GHz boost is still falsely advertised by Dell.  And the third thing is that I have no idea what is going on but I do know I'm not boosting past 3.4GHz :(

I should also mention that although HWiNFO64 and AMD Ryzen Master Utility displayed 3.8ghz on the cores after the overclock, the Task Manager 'Performance' tab still only listed the maximum speed as 3.4GHz.

Thank you again for responding.  If you have any other suggestions I'm more than eager to try anything that is reasonable.

8 Posts

August 16th, 2017 01:00

Thank you for your message.

The basic clock speed of the processor is 3.4GHz & the max (turbo) speed is 3.8GHz.

May be the application you are using is not demanding much of the processor power.

You can try using the AMD Ryzen Master Utility for Overclocking.

Calling Dell support may not be of much help here as overclocking is not supported & does not fall under their scope of support.

Thank you for your help.  I downloaded and tried the AMD Ryzen Master Utility.  Please read my reply to BeamerMT1979 about some things that I have just tried.  

Thank you again for the prompt response.  

2.3K Posts

August 16th, 2017 11:00

Hmm.. Do you have the latest BIOS installed?  You can click here for all the drivers and updates. The latest one is listed on 8/8/2017

25 Posts

August 17th, 2017 12:00

Check it while you're in a game.  The boost clocks only activate under certain conditions and often only temporarily because it increases voltage to the CPU significantly when it does this.  

8 Posts

August 17th, 2017 13:00

Check it while you're in a game.  The boost clocks only activate under certain conditions and often only temporarily because it increases voltage to the CPU significantly when it does this.  

It seems to be doing this exact thing now after I updated the BIOS so I'm assuming it's working fine.

I have a dual monitor setup so I'd run games and benchmarks while keeping my performance apps monitor on my second monitor to view the cpu clocks.

Thank you very much!

8 Posts

August 17th, 2017 13:00

Hmm.. Do you have the latest BIOS installed?  You can click here for all the drivers and updates. The latest one is listed on 8/8/2017

I updated the bios and I see the clocks boost up every now and than so I'm guessing it works fine now.  Thank you very much for helping me out!

25 Posts

August 17th, 2017 14:00

Thanks, glad yours is working ok.  I have the same system and mine is so unstable it's not funny.  I think the power supplies they supply these things with are way too small!  It's 460 watt and they advertise them running dual graphics cards.  That's pretty crazy.

Mine randomly restarts, won't always boot and has issues with the boot menu choosing what to boot from properly.  It seems the new bios fixes boot menu issues, but I can't get it to install.

I'm on bios 1.2.1, which Dell no longer lists on their site.  I downloaded 1.2.3 and it restarts and then just hangs and the light blinks white like it's in low power state.  Is 1.2.3 the one you just updated too?  Did your light blink white like that or did it boot right back up?

I'm hoping 1.2.3 will resolve my issues, as I've already bitched at Dell about a replacement because their tech support has been absolutely no help at all.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2017 00:00

I wasn't and still am not too comfortable with 460watt power supply but so far mine seems ok and I have my whole system hooked up to a backup power source in case of power outage and the max power draw I had so far is under 350W and that's with 2 monitors plugged in and the computer was being stressed, both cpu and gpu BUT I'd prefer a 580watt or higher.

My unit ran fine on 1.1.2 and now I have 1.2.3 but I went back to 1.1.2 to try some things out and am back on 1.2.3 again.  Have you tried going back to the 1.1.2 and trying to install the 1.2.3 that way?  I didn't look at the power button blinking during the BIOS change stage but what happened on my monitor is, I ran the 1.2.3 executable and the computer did everything by itself from there, it shut down, restarted and I had a 0% - 100% load bar showing progress as it updated, and after that it got back to my windows login screen.  If you can't change your BIOS version right now for whatever reason you can try removing your CMOS battery and see if that resets it.  There are a few ways of doing it, I did it on this machine to try something but I was still on 1.1.2 at that time so I'm not sure if it'll reset you back to factory BIOS version.  Either way, there was no hanging of the system at all.

I have purchased my computers from Dell for about 15 years now but this one is most likely my last.  The support they offer now is horrible unless you pay 50$ extra for Premium Support which is total *** and will never pay that.

If you want try the CMOS reset and want to know the exact steps I took let me know.  Does your light blink just white or amber as well?  If amber as well it may help to look at this link.

www.dell.com/.../dell-inspiron-5675-desktop-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide

Once there go to "Troubleshooting Hardware (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Hard Drive and BIOS defaults)" and after that select "Computer Fails to Start or There is No Video" at least to give you an idea what the exact issue is.

I have another thing I wanna bring up regarding my CPU but I'll address it later because I don't know if it has to do with the bios update or with the overclock I did on it earlier.  Works fine, but just a little curious thing.

25 Posts

August 18th, 2017 06:00

Oh boy it's such a long story lol.  The light would go white and blink after restarting using the BIOS program, almost like it went into sleep mode.  After that i would fail to boot at all, just a black screen, it would not make it to the loading bar you spoke off.  

After you described it I recall that screen because I updated the bios to 1.2.1 about the second week I had it.  I don't recall what version it shipped with, 1.1.2 I would assume, and the bios software worked just fine for me then.

So, after you turned it off and tried to reboot it would go solid amber.  It would hang like this anytime something in WIndows needed to restart the O/S or even if I tried to boot into safe mode, boom it would fail.  I had to do as you suggested and clear CMOS every single time to get it able to boot again.

I was actually on BIOS "1.2.1", not the 1.1.2.  It's since been removed for download and I think they knew there was something wrong with it as they have been updating these BIOS pretty quickly on this new machine.  

I've had so many little issues:

1.) When I would plug in my own SSD to the motherboard it wouldn't recognize it and would only boot with it half the time.  I had a lot of trouble booting from a USB stick to install windows on the SSD too.  It booted fine with the provided 7200rpm drive tho.  

The ssd works fine and I had it in my old system prior to this.  It's back in the old system now, because of the issues.  

2.) I had input lag on the USB ports with keyboard/mouse.  

3.) I had no video for a while, but then put the video card in my old pc to test it and it worked like a charm.  Clearing CMOS and restarting the computer 100 times finally got it to turn back on.  

4.) Then I was getting an IRQ conflict with the Wifi card and the express slot card reader on the front.  So, my WiFi would go down a lot and give me resource shortage errors.  I tried to fix it in Windows, but was unable to.  

5.) Crucial ram stick wouldn't work and would fail to boot, Dell sent me a visiontek stick that works.  (This one isn't Dell's fault Ryzen is picky about RAM.)

Anyway, I did the CMOS reset and it eventually started back up on BIOS 1.2.1.  I was able to get the new bios 1.2.3 to install on my system, but I had to go into legacy mode and load it from DOS with UEFI disabled.  It was too unstable on 1.2.1 to use the provided software from within WIndows.  

So, now I'm back up and running ok at the moment, so we will see how long that lasts.  The IRQ conflict is gone and it has not hung yet on a restart.  No usb input lag.  I have video on my screen.

It's a miracle this may have fixed it!?  I'm hopeful, but I'm holding my breath until it's up and running stable for a few days at least.   I'm getting the replacement system from them anyway now at this point, but at least I know your computer works.  So, I either got a lemon or the 1.2.1 bios really borked my system.

1.2K Posts

August 18th, 2017 08:00

1700x Turbo is 3.9 on one core, 3.5 on all cores.

edit: And to get 3.9 you need a motherboard that will support it. I suspect the Dell Mobo does not.

3..4 GHz base clock.

25 Posts

August 18th, 2017 09:00

Just replying to keep things clear for those looking for information on these new desktops.

The Dell motherboard DOES support the Ryzen processors completely.  In the Dell BIOS it lists the processor at 3900MHz.  

The motherboard runs on the standard X370 chipset.

8 Posts

August 19th, 2017 16:00

Oh nice!   Hopefully the new system will work for you without any hiccups.  I'm planning to put a different ssd in my system as well, 256gb as a main drive isn't really working for me.  The system I got came with a samsung ram dimm and it's been working fine.

Do you have any idea what 'PowerNow! Enable' is? It was under the 'Advance' tab in bios 1.1.2  but once I flashed to 1.2.3 it is no longer available.  It was just above the 'Virtualization' option and it was Enabled.

It may still be there but not visible to consumers after the 1.2.3 bios flash.  Not a big thing just curious lol.

Did you run HWiNFO64 to look at your system's core speeds?

September 9th, 2017 10:00

My 5675 will overclock to 3.8 at 3.33 volts, it also runs cinibench without crashing but heating is a issue idol temps go to 60c with dell watercooling which includes front case fan and vrm heatsinks. Cpuz shows the 3.8 speed correctly. Also the overclock does not hold on restart the pc reverts to stock clocks and volts. I can run 3.7 at 1.250 volts with same as stock temps. these OC,s are with reyzen master.

No Events found!