Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2012 10:00

Inspiron 570 owners- our machine is overclockable and man does it make a difference

I'll post a writeup shortly on what I did, but it actually ended up being extremely simplistic, wipes out all of the other annoying freeware that either serves no purpose or expires after a trial period and takes up resources- and most importantly unlocks the multiplier for the CPU. I just bought a new Intel 520 to upgrade the Intel 330 that I have running my OS and applications right now, but last night before adding the new drive I decided to do three Passmark runs using the configuration I'd set the score in my signature with....

First test: Factory CPU clocks, GPU overclock by standard 60mhz for me = system score 2869, CPU composite score 4534

Second test: Overclocked CPU to 3800mhz, same GPU overclock = system score 3095, CPU composite score 4898

Third test: Overclock CPU to 3900mhz, same GPU overclock = system score 3196, CPU composite score 5129

So..... wow. The most amazing part is that I left OCCT running for temp monitoring. Afterward I looked at the peaks- it got to 50c max during the second test, 52c max during the third. I still have room to go with the CPU I believe, and this is before I even install the much faster SSD or actually tune my GPU clock and memory to match the new processor.

Out of disclosure, obviously I should warn this would void your warranty in every fathomable way, both with Dell and the component manufacturers for the upgrade parts you have- but right now I'm proud to be able to respond to the i7 owners on other forums who do nothing but bash Dell- I can just post the screen capture I saved of the system specs and overall score.... which is indeed higher than some of the i7 punks are bragging about. :emotion-11:

117 Posts

August 9th, 2012 05:00

Haven't finished the whole tech write-up yet, but here is a sampling of the potential upside. Note my signature for previous best system score- this is a screencap of the test run with the CPU @ 3900mhz, which you can confirm by looking at the OCCT details for max CPU speed. Temps look reasonable too for an OC'ed benchmark test. I have tested up to 4200mhz as stable, but have yet to benchmark with that type of OC in this heat (it was almost 100 here in socal today and almost 80 in my office with the AC on). Worth noting that regular computing with the new settings is instantaneous. I can open 16MP picture files or watch 1080p video clips also saved to my SSD and there is less than a full second of lag from clicking to opening the program and playing the file.

117 Posts

September 11th, 2012 07:00

Just wanted to post a quick update- I just benchmarked at the 4.3ghz overclock I finally settled on with the X4 965 and then compared it to the latest 20 benchmarks posted on Passmark. Below is the test posted right before mine- you can now say it's possible for your Dell 570 to walk all over an upgraded Intel i7 system. He is running a HD 6950 GPU and Intel SSD besides having Intel's flagship CPU. Dell wins. :emotion-11:

(Click for full-size)

893 Posts

September 12th, 2012 10:00

Common, you beat him up with DVD, not CPU. However, it is still impressive for Inspiron 570

4.4K Posts

May 31st, 2013 11:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                  

No Events found!