Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2012 09:00

Inspiron 580 - No sound through speakers but headset works

I have an Inspiron 580.  The sound card is integrated on the motherboard -- It is nvidia hdef audio / realtek high def audio.  At least that is what it says when I do a scan.  I am running Windows 7.

I am getting no sound through speakers.  However, I do get sound when I plug in my ipod headphones into the front jack of the computer.  I tested my speakers on another computer and they work.

How can I troubleshoot this?  Did I fry something on the motherboard that affects the speaker jacks?  If so, if I purchased another sound card, would that solve the problem?

Thanks.

10 Posts

January 24th, 2012 12:00

Mary - thanks for suggesting the obvious (no sarcasm intended).  It's always useful.  I had done all of that - but you made me think of another obvious thing.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the sound card.  That did the trick!

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

January 24th, 2012 10:00

Make sure you are plugging the speakers into the correct port--the blue and green ports are side by side and very similar especially if you are color blind or are in a dark area. Then make sure the volume is adjusted and mute is off. Check the speaker icon in the Notification Area.

3.7K Posts

January 24th, 2012 12:00

Make sure you are plugging the speakers into the correct port--the blue and green ports are side by side and very similar especially if you are color blind or are in a dark area. Then make sure the volume is adjusted and mute is off. Check the speaker icon in the Notification Area.

Also check in Control Panel in your Sound tab, that you have your speakers set as Default.

No Events found!