Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2010 11:00

Inspiron 580 noise

Hi,

25 days ago, I received my inspiron 580. 5 days later, I heard that the noise was louder..

Is this normal? I recorded the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8EZptJGRoc

Thanks!

1.7K Posts

October 25th, 2010 12:00

Generally, after just 5 days you should not be experiencing more noise and things should remain pretty quiet under normal operation.  Fan speed increases as needed and you probably only have three or four being your power supply fan, case fan, CPU fan & video card fan.  The one creating the most noise can often be your video card fan as the others tend to stay pretty quiet.  Do you know if you have a dedicated PCIe video card and a cooling fan on it?  Your best bet is to remove the side panel from your case and then listen to see if you can determine where the noise is coming from as I cannot say for sure listening to your recording plus I don't know where you put the mic to record it.  It sounds a bit unusual and annoying to me.  Taking a paper towel roll and putting it up to each fan to isolate the sound might help figure it out.  

13 Posts

October 25th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the comment!

I opened up the thing, and it was a bit hard to notice were it came from. But I think it is the CPU fan which makes noise.

I also have to say that when I start up the computer, you can hear the fans spinning very hard. I know that this is normal on startup. Then the fan is silent and it makes the noise I posted on the video. So it keeps getting higher until you hear the ''br'' thing.

I dont have any idea what I should do. =(

Thanks!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 25th, 2010 16:00

Skyro

As this is a brand new system and has a warranty, you need to contact Dell's Technical Support ASAP about the fan issue.

Bev.

1 Message

October 27th, 2010 15:00

Skyro, same thing happened to me. It sounded like a fan was overworking (likely video card), so I dialed down the resolution. The sound went away, but the picture on the ST2310 monitor looked terrible. So I pulled the box from it's cubby, and was going to open it to have a look, but was called away to the phone. When I came back the whirring noise went away? Turns out it wasn't getting enough ventilation at the rear, it sticks out a bit further from the wall now (4 inches), but the annoying sound went away. I think the fan was overcompensating for the lack of ventilation. regards.

13 Posts

October 29th, 2010 06:00

Thanks for the comment mate.
I still dont know really, I tried the resolution on 800x600, but it didnt have really an effect. The fanspeed of the videocard was 25% (43-48) degrees celsius. Which isnt high either.. I think its the CPU.

I will update this when I get more info

thanks

No Events found!