Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2014 15:00

Inspiron 620 Motherboard BIOS needs service tag

The motherboard on my Dell Inspiron 620 died after losing power during a storm and I replaced it with a new one that I purchased on eBay. Everything works fine now (although my Windows 8 and Office 2010 will need to be re-registered) but the service tag does not show up in the BIOS and I am afraid this will cause a problem if I decide to restore my system back to Windows 7 using my self-made Dell recovery discs. The Dell PC doctor utility no longer works either. My question is: How can I update the BIOS to show the service tag? I have already updated the BIOS to A10 but there is no way to edit the service tag. Will the asset.com utility work on my system? If so, how can I get my hands on an a.ISO version to burn to CD? Thank you for your help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 15th, 2014 18:00

The Service tag and Barcoded serial number are the same thing.  If its blank in bios it will let you change it  ONE TIME only to be something other than blank..

2 Posts

July 25th, 2014 20:00

Thank you for the response, but I need instructions on how to edit the unselectable BIOS settings.  The Asset ID an service tag are not selectable in the BIOS and there is no single key that works to make them selectable.  Perhaps there is some magic key combination?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 26th, 2014 22:00

The serial number of the system is the service tag.

This is NOT related to the SLP key for windows.

There will not be any further instruction to modify this. The Service tag field is locked once a value is entered even if its wrong.

78 Posts

July 27th, 2014 00:00

The only thing that I can come up with is reseting the BIOS is by removing the CMOS battery or reseting the BIOS to factory settings or if your computer is old enough then remove the jumper from the motherboard.

No Events found!