Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 1st, 2012 04:00

Inspiron 620 SLIM upgrades and compatability?

Greetings Dell Community members!

I am a proud owner of 3 Dell computers and I am new to this community!

I have made this post concerning one of my Dell computers about possible upgrades I can purchase not listed in the Dell shop.

My Dell computer is an Inspiron 620S and I do play most of my games through this desktop.

I am very eager to upgrade some hardware to improve my gaming experience!

The games I mostly play are off of Steam, from Team Fortress 2, to Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2, to Counter Strike: Source.

Yes I said I have played BF2 on a stock Inspiron 620S, but it wasn't that bad.

So basically, I am running all of these games on the lowest video settings and I think its time to bump it up a notch or two.

If there is anything I can do to upgrade my GPU, and most likely my PSU, I would very much appreciate it if you would share your thoughts about my situation.

Here are my system properties specs:

Model: Inspiron 620S

Rating: 4.7

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System

If it is beneficial to include my system configuration, than here it is:

*Parts Number
*Quantity
*Description

INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
K8CJC
PLACEMAT..., INSPIRON..., DESKTOP..., 620S, GLOBAL...
702EX
INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #1
F96Y3
ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., PWA INTEGRATED..., W/BZL-B, NON PFC..., 620S
2DR0G
KIT..., DOCUMENTATION..., SERI/WSI, DAO1
4G9KX
TECHNICAL SHEET..., INFORMATION..., 512E-HD, WORLD WIDE...
5120P
Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
RV2X2
Keyboard, 104, United States, KWE9C0, Primax Electronics Ltd
P382H
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 4G 1333, 512X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
1N7HK
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 2G, 1333, 128X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
WDRTF
ASSEMBLY..., HEATSINK..., FAN..., 95W, MNTW
8WDYM
HARD DRIVE..., 1TB, S3, 7.2K, SGT-PHAR6G
J72KD
PROCESSOR..., I3-2120, 3.3, 3MB, SNB, 65W, Q0
J77RY
Kit, Card, Network, DW1502, Antenna, Assembly
T57D9
Card, Wireless, Network, DW1502, Peripheral Component Interconnect Express, Half Height
RT0TH
ASSEMBLY..., DVD+/-RW..., 16X, HALF HEIGHT..., BARE, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE...
11D3V
Kit, Mouse, Universal Serial Bus, Point Of Sale, Primax Electronics Ltd, MS111
If there are any questions regarding my desktops potential upgrade possibilities, please ask them. 
If I've given you more than enough information and you have some advice on my situation, please share them.
Thank you for reading my post,
Davis.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 1st, 2012 05:00

Hi DJ_Unlucky,  

Welcome to the Community.

I understand your concern and I see that you want to upgrade your computer so that You will be able to play games better.

As I see the details you have given about your computer I do not find any advanced graphics card for your computer.What you can do is to upgrade the graphics card on your computer and as per your model there are two graphic cards available for your model Inspiron 620s.

Please follow the link below to go ahead purchase the desired Graphics card of your choice.

http://dell.to/T31uoP

Please reply back for any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Ravi_Chandra

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

August 1st, 2012 18:00

Hi Dell_Ravi_Chandra,

I am aware I have two choices of upgrades regarding my systems compatibility, but I am overlooking those options because I know nothing about them.

I have tried to search these graphics cards online but I don't understand what they are capable of doing.

I know any dedicated graphics card will boost performance better than an integrated graphics card, but I do need something that has, I guess, more bang for the wattage that my PSU has.

Unless someone knows what these two cards can do, I would definitely like to know, so that I would look into buying one of these two cards from Dell shop.

Other than that, I would definitely like to know about other upgrade options not listed in my Parts & Upgrades list from Dell shop.

If not, how can I tell what card is capable of pushing what weight, as I would like to figure some stuff out myself.

Does more Stream Processing Units mean more power?

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up about upgrades provided by Dell shop.

I would just like to know of other compatible GPU/PSU upgrades regarding my Inspiron 620S that are not listed in the Dell Shop.

Thanks for reading my post,

Davis.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 1st, 2012 20:00

This'll allow you to bump up your gaming detail a notch or two: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

You may need to upgrade your power supply, in which case I'd recommend this: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

August 1st, 2012 23:00

Thank you so much for your recommendations, I will definitely put these products into mind when purchasing.

Are there any other options out there, or how would I go about finding out which GPU's will fit in my case?

Thank you for reading my post.

Davis.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 20:00

If gaming is the goal, that's about the best card available for your chassis.

Any low profile card should fit.

August 2nd, 2012 21:00

So any low profile or half height card can fit my case? If that' is true, than finding a graphics card should be easier now.

Thanks for sharing!

Also, do you know what my PSU wattage is, for the stock Inspiron 620S or how do I find out. I should probably upgrade it with my GPU for some headroom or something.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 00:00

The power supply is adequate for most low profile cards. The problem is that most low profile cards are not adequate for gaming; the Sapphire 6670 is almost unique in having enough power to run newer games at moderate settings with decent framerates.

August 3rd, 2012 01:00

Hey, thanks for the input!

I guess I'm sold for the Sapphire 6670, a lot of talk about the performance of the 6670.

Even my friends recommend it for my system.

I will definitely try and get the sapphire 6670 that you recommended me from newegg!

But another thing, the newegg details that the minimum power wattage of 400 is required.

I know that some people do ignore that specification, but is my PSU good enough for the card? Or should I just get a better PSU?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 20:00

300 watts is sufficient for that card; I'd suggest the Seasonic I linked to.

No Events found!