Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2013 09:00

Inspiron 620 stuck in logging off mode

I shut computer off each time I'm done for a few days.   Last time I did this, I can't be certain it shut down normally as I clicked the shut down button and walked way.  Today when I attempted to boot  on, the screen loads with "logging off" with the hourglass, as it does when it shuts down, and I cannot get to the start menu.   Now it stays in this mode for hours.  Even when computer automatically powers down after the designated time to hibernate with the black screen, when a key is touched to start computer it is this same logging off screen.  I ran the F12 diagnostics and all the tests came back fine saying there is no problem.  No error messages.  Would like to attempt a system restore but I cannot get to the start menu.  Computer year and a half old.  Using another computer to post this as I can't get on the Inspiron.  I'm not a computer whiz so no complicated suggestions are appreciated.  Any ideas, anyone please?

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 09:00

UPDATE:  My problem has been solved quite by accident.  I was going to attempt your latest suggestion one more time, this time unplugging the computer and leaving it off for a bit before doing the 20-second button.  My husband unplugged it before I realized I hadn’t powered off properly.  Within seconds I realized this and he plugged it back in and I powered on to see if anything changed.  I got the screen saying it hadn’t been shut down properly and offering different options.  I wasn’t able to arrow up to the safe mode options so by default the “start windows normally” button activated and lo and behold the “logging off” screen was gone and I’m in.  Thank you so much for your help!  If it weren’t for your suggestion I’d probably still be frustrated.  Dell support is No. 1!

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 09:00

UPDATE:  My problem has been solved quite by accident.  I was going to attempt your latest suggestion one more time, this time unplugging the computer and leaving it off for a bit before doing the 20-second button.  My husband unplugged it before I realized I hadn’t powered off properly.  As soon as I realized this, he plugged it back in and I powered on to see if anything changed.  I got the screen saying it hadn’t been shut down properly and offering different options.  I wasn’t able to arrow up to the safe mode options so by default the “start windows normally” button activated and lo and behold the “logging off” screen was gone and I’m in.  Thank you so much for your help!!  If it weren’t for your suggestion I’d probably still be frustrated.  Dell support is No. 1!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 1st, 2013 12:00

What version of Windows?

If you reboot and press F8, can you get to the menu? On the F8 menu, try selecting "Last Known Good" and if that doesn't work, depending on version of Windows, you may have to run a repair.

1.3K Posts

October 1st, 2013 13:00

Hi Weezi,

Adding to what has been mentioned by our esteemed Rockstar, Ron, please click on the link below to troubleshoot the issue you are facing with the system. This link has several steps which may prove helpful in resolving the issue.

Computer Does Not Boot to Microsoft Windows 7: http://dell.to/1g10kXi

Please reply if you have further queries, we would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards.

Babita S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads,
Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

1.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 07:00

Hi Weezi,

Thank you for your reply.

Power down the system and remove all external devices connected to your computer. The only devices you should leave attached to your computer are your monitor, mouse and keyboard. Disconnect the power cable from the wall outlet/ rear of the system chassis.

Then, press the system's power button down (with the power cable disconnected) for about 20 seconds to release flea power. Reconnect the power cable and power on the system. Does the system still remain on the same "logging off" screen?

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks and regards.

Babita S
#iworkfordell
Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 07:00

Version is Windows 7.  I press F8 right after the Dell logo and it does not bring me to the safe mode.  I get a message "restarting windows" and then this "logging off" screen appears.  Even when I press the keys on the keyboard with the Microsoft logo that would normally pull up the start menu, nothing happens.  The computer is frozen onto this "logging off" screen.  

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 08:00

I did everything you suggested, did it two times to be sure I did it correctly, and the logging off screen is still there.

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 10:00

My problem has been solved quite by accident.  I was going to attempt your latest suggestion one more time, this time unplugging the computer and leaving it off for a bit before doing the 20-second button.  My husband unplugged it before I realized I hadn’t powered off properly.  As soon as I realized this, he plugged it back in and powered on to see if anything changed.  I got the screen saying it hadn’t been shut down properly and offering different options.  I wasn’t able to arrow up to the safe mode options so by default the “start windows normally” button activated and lo and behold the “logging off” screen was gone and I’m in.  Thank you so much for your help!!  If it weren’t for your suggestion I’d probably still be frustrated.   Dell support is No. 1!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

Glad you got it going again. :emotion-21:

You might want to run chkdsk on your hard drive now to clean up any system file errors and/or lost fragments from other files.

Click Start>Run

Type in: chkdsk C: /f

Click OK

Accept the offer to run chkdsk at next boot and then reboot. Chkdsk will run before Windows loads, This may take several minutes, depending on the size of the drive and how much stuff is on it so just be patient.

1.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hi Weezi,

It is such wonderful news to know that your system is working fine now.

Generally, this type of an issue is resolved quickly with draining of  flea power or power drain and we are glad it has helped in resolving the issue for you as well. Sometimes, residual electricity or current gets stored on the system circuit boards resulting in the system hanging/freezing. To get the system working normally again,  all external devices and the power cable need to be removed and the power button pressed for some time  in order to drain out the residual power within the computer.

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries, we would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards.

Babita S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!