Highlighted
SuperMomN
Bronze

Inspiron 620 wont turn on, not happy about Dell product.

I'm not impressed with my Dell. I purchased in Feb 2012. Yesterday I tried to power it on but nothing. The power supply is fine. There is a red light on in the inside but the desktop will not power up. I trouble shooted online, from another computer, but found nothing. I called tech. support but since my warrenty ran out they want to charge me just to tell me what I have already figured out, that the mother board has failed..The computer is not even 2 years old yet! My first Dell lasted 10 years. Like I said tech service was no help. I imagine customer service won't be either. And this site shows no help either, I don't see were I can purchase a new mother board. A local computer tech looked at it, free of charge and guesses its the motherboard. I'm sure if I should try to find new mother board or purchase a brand new computer, which would NOT be another Dell.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
rdunnill
Diamond

RE: Inspiron 620 wont turn on, not happy about Dell product.

How do you know it's not the power supply?

0 Kudos
SuperMomN
Bronze

I dont know if its the power supply, or the mother board or just the power switch itself.....Theres green light on rear and amber light on mother board When Power Cord Plugged in, fans do not turn on. I unplugged power cord, removed battery, unplugged power supply cord from mother board and hard drive, unplugged power button wires from mother board, and removed ram cards. I let pc set for awhile, then I held down power button for 20 seconds or so. I then plugged all cables back in, returned battery, and plugged power cord. After wiggling the clip were the power suppy cable enters mother board the fans kicked on and the power works. After reinstalling the ram cards my pc worked just fine for a week, until I shut it off. Now it will not power on again. I tried the above steps again but it did not work this time.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Paper Clip Trick may work.Green to Black (This is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing) If it does the power button board is broken and needs to be replaced.

You could also try unplugging all cords and holding power on until all lights go out then plugging ONLY power cord and see if it turns on.

If it does then put one thing back at a time until you find out where the issue is.

Most common is something on USB ports (printer, drive, shorted mouse) that is not passive but rather powered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating

Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Support

0 Kudos
SuperMomN
Bronze

Everything has been unplugged, (mouse, keyboard, printer, and ethernet), since this problem has started.

I tried the paper clip trick, when power is plugged in the fan does turn on. Does that mean the power supply is fine?

After I removed the paper clip, I hooked the power supply cable back up to everything inside pc but it still does not turn on. So the problem has to be the mother board or the power button, correct? Were can I purchase a new button?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

There are multiple models.

The 620 power board is not the same as the 620S power board.  KCRV8 is for the Mini TOWER NON S version. Some found that if you push the power buttton about 6 times pretty quickly it then fires up.

The fan coming on is not sufficient load.  If it comes on and stays on with hard drive attached and spinning I would say its likely the power supply is ok.

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-12827/Dell-KCRV8-Inspiron-620/Detail

here

Support

0 Kudos
SuperMomN
Bronze

Mine is the 620, not the 620s

Do I have to buy through dell or can I get it anywhere? 

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

This vendor seems to have tons of them for the 620.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-INSPIRON-620-LED-POWER-BUTTON-SWITCH-CABLE-KCRV8-0KCRV8-/1808739242...

here

Support

0 Kudos
SuperMomN
Bronze

Mine is the 620, not the 620s.

For the paper clip test I should leave hard drive plugged in? Because I had everything unplugged from cable. The fan stayed on the whole time I had power connected, about 30 seconds.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Mine is the 620, not the 620s.

For the paper clip test I should leave hard drive plugged in? Because I had everything unplugged from cable. The fan stayed on the whole time I had power connected, about 30 seconds.

SuperMomN

Yes, for the paper clip test, you only remove the 24-pin P1 connector from the motherboard, everything else remains connected. 

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, to discharge the residue power, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU may be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos