Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2013 19:00

Inspiron 620s Psu and video card upgrade questions?

Hello ! I purchased the Inspiron 620s awhile ago, and it has been a really good computer. I just wanted to upgrade the video card.  However under the update tab on the dell website, it shows me only two options to work with. Given the fact my PSU is only about 250w, I figured it was time to upgrade both the video card, and obviously the PSU. 

Given that the computer is a slim unit, I am supposed to be limited to a lower profile card, however, I've been running it (Although not recommended) with no side panel. As far as the PSU, I wanted to know if any tech savy people knew if http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fatal1ty-Modular-Gaming-compatible/dp/B003JZCF2O this work fit, and not completely fry my system? And if not, I'd gladly take any suggestions on a PSU that is around 500w-750w that would fit in this computer. 

And then I'd go to worry about the video card. If anybody has any experience with this, please let me know! c:

1.5K Posts

February 15th, 2013 20:00

Normally, the Dell website will only show old video cards that were tested in the system and they are usually overpriced.  This does not mean other video cards will not work.  I guess I need to ask what the purpose for the video card is.  You cannot use the power supply that you linked.  It is not the right type and will not fit the slim case.  You can only use TFX type units.  HERE is the one I would suggest.  If you are trying to turn a slim model into some type of extreme gaming system as indicated by your power supply choice, you will be out of luck.  I believe the best low profile video card you can get is the HD 7750 found HERE. However, others have used this card without upgrading their power supplies on these slim cases with success.  

Leaving the side panel off a slim case if heating it up with gaming may have some benefits since there is little else you can do to improve cooling on these models. However, you are still going to need a low profile video card because a full size card and full size bracket will not fit in the case as I see it.  

254 Posts

February 16th, 2013 07:00

ok ... that power supply will not work ... the 620s has a low profile "slim" case which won't fit a normal size ATX power supply.  They take a TFX size power supply. This is the biggest TFX power supply I have seen and reviewers say it fits Dell "s" series cases.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338082  The other hurdle is no one makes a low profile gaming card.  The best I have seen is the Saphire HD 7750 that Kelbear1 linked to www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Low profile case really limit your graphics options ... don't get me wrong though the HD 7750 is a good card in the $100 range.  It's really the best you can do with a low profile system.

No Events found!