Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2013 01:00

Inspiron 660 Blue screen after installing intel video drivers

New Inspiron 660 I am setting up for my mom. Have removed Windows 8 and done a clean install of Windows 7 in UEFI mode - All working fine, all drivers installed fine. Everything, generally fine...

However, after installing the Video_Intel_W74_A01_Setup-JYNR7_ZPE.exe file from the dell support site for my service tag, the machine blue screens just after the starting windows message. The only way to recover is to let windows recover to the last known good state.

This is the same with the drivers that came on the CD with the PC and also with the drivers downloaded from the suport site.

1.8K Posts

January 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi santrix69,

You can change the Boot mode to 'Legacy' from BIOS by following the steps below:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Navigate to 'Boot' tab and change the 'Boot mode' to 'Legacy'.
  • Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Once the computer restarts, check if issue is resolved.

If the issue still persists, boot your computer in safe mode and uninstall the video drivers from 'Device Manager'. Restart your computer and then re-install the drivers for the graphics card installed on your computer. 

To uninstall the drivers from Device manager in safe mode:

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  • Select the user account at the log in screen. 
  • Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”. 
  • Click on “Manage”. 
  • Click on “Device Manager”. 
  • Under “Display adapters”, you will find the video driver listed. 
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly). 
  • Check the box to delete the software.  
  • Restart your system and click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the video driver under “Video”.
  • Click on the video driver depending on the video card your system has. (Install the same video driver which you uninstalled from “Device Manager”.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the video driver by following the on screen instructions.
  • Restart your computer. 

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

January 17th, 2013 06:00

That didn't work. With the boot disk setup in UEFI mode the PC won't boot in Legacy  mode... There is no MBR for it to boot from I suspect. So, impossible to get into windows, even pressing F8 at boot (in UEFI mode). So I had to fall back and rely on a Windows Repair at boot time, which fortunately worked. No beans. I have already tried both the drivers that shipped with the box, and the one from your drivers download site using the service tag.

1.8K Posts

January 17th, 2013 07:00

Hi santrix69,

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

3 Posts

January 17th, 2013 07:00

The answer turned out to be installing SP1 AND installing the Intel HD 2000 drivers from the Intel website...

No Events found!