Highlighted
neftones
1 Copper

Inspiron 660 Gives No Video Signal

Hi, I have an Inspiron 660 running Windows 8.1. This morning I ran several updates via Windows Update (something like 10 "Important" and 3 "Optional"), and when the PC rebooted, there was no picture. I didn't get a Dell logo or a Windows logo or anything. I'm running a monitor via DVI, and I also tried hooking it up via HDMI to my TV, same results. I also tried inserting a Windows DVD, hoping I could use it to boot to safe mode, but no dice there. Everything I've tried - mashing during boot Shift + F8, F1, F12, F8, Delete - gives me the same result - no video signal. It's definitely turning on, but I'm hoping I'm making some really dumb mistake rather than these updates having caused some kind of hardware failure. Not knowing which updates were installed has made it rather difficult to search for help online. 

I installed a Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHZ 1 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card last June, but otherwise the hardware is stock. Hilariously, my warranty ended on Feb 21. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: Inspiron 660 Gives No Video Signal

1. What color is power button and is it steady or blinking?
  2. Any beeps from the tower?
  3. Did you check the video cable connections at both ends?
  4. Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and carefully reseat video card in its slot.
  5. If none of that helps, assuming you have onboard video, remove video card and switch monitor connection to the onboard video port

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
neftones
1 Copper

So I pulled out the AMD 7770 and reinstalled the original card and the PC booted up with no problems. Even ran/finished a few Windows updates for good measure. I've taken a screenshot of the updates that ran on the 12th, in case that helps pinpoint what's wrong. I'm guessing the highlighted update is what caused the problem, I'm just not sure what to do next. 

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If you want to use the 7770 again, you may have to uninstall all AMD drivers/software in Device Manager with the original card installed. Then shut down normally and swap in the 7770 card, reboot and install the AMD drivers for this card, but don't let it run that update again.

This is assuming the 7770 card didn't just die on you....

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos