terryb44805
1 Copper

Inspiron 660 desktop

I have the above listed desktop that seems to have a damaged hard drive. I went to reboot when I thought I was having trouble with my dvd drive. But when the computer went to boot back up, it didn't. The power light never turns to blue but stays a constant orange, like it's in perpetual sleep mode. I removed the side panel, and when starting up I can feel the drive like it's going to start, but then nothing and the computer just stays there. The drive active light never comes on. 

Btw, this was a Windows 8.1 that I upgrade to Windows 10. Thinking this is a hard drive problem, my question is this. I have a recovery disc I created on a usb device. If I have an external hard dive attached, can I get the computer to boot to the usb device and recover from the usb device and create Windows 10 on the external hard drive. Or alternatively, would I need to put in a new hard drive and again boot from the recovery usb to the new hard drive. Hope someone can help cause right now I'm using an older Inspiron 1525 laptop running Vista.  Thanks for any and all help.

0 Kudos