Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2014 14:00

Inspiron 660s Desktop Graphics Upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 660s Desktop running with 6 gb Memory, 1 tb Harddrive and Intel HD graphics. I want to upgrade my graphics to allow for a better gaming experience. I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the graphics and If I could upgrade to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3NDY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for any help!

I believe I have a small tower because It does not have much empty space inside. Is there any way to have a card not in the tower?

1.5K Posts

June 10th, 2014 21:00

The GTX 750 will not work.  Only low profile cards will fit in the 660s.  You also only have a 220 watt power supply.  I run the HD 6570 HERE in the 660s which does pretty well with gaming.  Even though you can still find them (overpriced) because they have been discontinued, the HD 7750 HERE has worked in the 660s and was the best card you could get.  The Sapphire is only available used on ebay, but other brands are still around.  The HD 6570 would be superior to your Intel HD graphics and for the price may be your best buy.  You cannot run the cards outside your tower.  

8 Posts

June 11th, 2014 09:00

Does my computer have enough power to Use the 6570? If so that would be the card I choose.

1.5K Posts

June 11th, 2014 09:00

Yes.  It only uses 50 watts at most under load.  I have it running right now in my 660s with the 220 watt power supply.  

8 Posts

June 16th, 2014 14:00

Update: I bought the Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 off of Newegg. I got it today and tried to install it. I have watched videos on how to install graphics cards on my specific computer and I installed it correctly I believe. I plugged my VGA monitor cord into the new card and turned on the computer. Nothing ended up showing up on screen. I then uninstalled the new card and tried the Intel graphics and they worked. I did that same thing again but the 6570 did not work. I also noticed that while running with the 6570 in the computer, the computer sounded like it would shutoff for a second and turn back on. This happened a few times. Any idea on what has happened?

1.5K Posts

June 16th, 2014 16:00

Not sure.  I have the same card in the 660s and it runs 24/7 and I have never had an issue since day one. I use the DVI connector though.  Is your monitor VGA only?  Did you install both the low profile brackets and attach them to the back of the case since you're using VGA?  Did the VGA connector happen to come off the card itself?  It simply pulls off and I actually took the ribbon cable off because I use DVI only and have no use for the VGA.  If you have a DVI to VGA adapter, you can try that.  You are running Windows 7, correct?   

8 Posts

June 16th, 2014 17:00

Ok... I got the card working sorta...

I disabled the intel graphics in the decide manager and then installed the 6570.

The screen did not work at first but after a couple minutes it worked. I installed the drivers with the disk and it works now... I am still worried that it may turn off randomly but it has not happened yet. Thanks for your help. I will give an update in a day or two after using it a bit :)

1.5K Posts

June 16th, 2014 23:00

Hopefully it stays working.  I never had to disable the Intel graphics.  Normally, an added graphics card is recognized automatically.  I know some older systems going back to 2005 or before required this.  Make sure you are running the most recent system bios that's available.  

8 Posts

June 17th, 2014 09:00

It is all working amazing now :) The problems with the computer shutting off solved themselves overnight and all my game work a lot better :) Thanks for all the help!

1 Message

March 28th, 2016 18:00

did you change the bios settings?  the intel hd grahics driver will not run the radeon graphics card. if you need to use the card to actually change those settings. could try to boot into safe mode with generic graphic driver. Hope it helps.

No Events found!