Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2015 15:00

Inspiron 7459 Crashes In Sleep Mode

Hi Everybody,

I have a brand new Inspiron 24 7000 Series (Model 7459) with Windows 10. After an hour or so in sleep mode, the computer crashes.

Also, if I put it in sleep mode and awaken it in a few minutes, the computer comes back with the spacebar key stuck (the cursor flies across Notepad) and when I try to click the Windows start icon, it only opens the Cortana menu. After a few minutes this behavior stops and every functions normally.

Any ideas?

Regards

3 Posts

January 15th, 2016 16:00

We bought a Dell Inspiron 7000 (Model 7459) as a gift for my wife. When it enters sloop mode the power button turns yellow/orange and won't come out of sleep not matter what I try. I have to unplug the machine to restart it.

I've also had an instance where the computer simply shutdown while my wife was typing. Overall, my wife is happy with it, but the sleep mode issue is starting to gnaw at the nerves.

6 Posts

May 24th, 2016 13:00

Having the exact same issues for months.  I have not been able to resolve.  Any updates here? I'm ready to send this thing back.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 26th, 2016 12:00

Having the exact same issues for months.  I have not been able to resolve.  Any updates here? I'm ready to send this thing back.

Multiple issues are posted here, so you need to be more specific about your problem. And always include the exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 26th, 2016 13:00

Open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and then click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB root hubs.

Then expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and look for Power Management tabs for all entries (not all have it) and uncheck that same box.

Now go to the Windows Power options screen and select the current power plan. Go to its Advanced settings screen and make sure USB Selective Suspend is disabled.

Reboot and see if that helps...

6 Posts

May 26th, 2016 13:00

Specifically, when the computer (Inspiron 7459, same as the one in the post) goes to sleep, it will not wake up out of sleep mode.  You must pull the power plug from the back of the machine and then plug it in to get it to come up. No amount of moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard or holding down/touching the power button will wake it out of sleep.  This is when the power button is "yellow" not "white".

I've patched the computer with the latest updates every time they come out. I've put the latest Nvidia drivers on when they have been available. The BIOS is up to date. I've talked to Dell tech support who remotely controlled it and ran a fix it tool. They tried to replicate the issue, but couldn't

You have to not touch it for days (even though no where in the settings does it say to go to sleep after 24 hours or anything). I can't find it in the BIOS or the computers power settings.  All hybrid, sleep, etc. settings are set to never.  It still goes yellow, and you absolutely cannot wake it up without pulling the power and plugging it back in.  Standard wireless mouse/keyboard that came with the machine.

6 Posts

May 28th, 2016 17:00

Thank you so much.  I'll need a few weeks to see if these work,  but fingers crossed!

1 Message

June 30th, 2016 09:00

Awofford, Did this work?  I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 7459.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2016 12:00

No - it did not work.  I made the suggested changes, and the computer still sleeps and will not wake up unless you pull the power cord. I'm opening another ticket with Dell, but not hopeful that sending this one back will resolve the problem.

1 Message

July 7th, 2016 04:00

I just purchased an Inspiron 7459 two weeks ago and spent the last week migrating all my data and software to it and in the past few days I've  started to experience the same problem.  ...power the desktop up, do some work on it then leave it on  for approx 4 hours or so then come back to it find it has completely powered off ! Pressing  the power does not start it and YES the only way to power it back up is to unplug/plug  the power cable then press the power button. Very disppointing especially to see a few others are having the same issue. I will definitely log a call with Dell whilst still only brand new.

1 Message

July 12th, 2016 13:00

I am having the same issues.  Now Dell Tech Support wants me to wipe the computer clean and reinstall everything.  Anyone have an update on this?

1 Message

July 17th, 2016 15:00

I've just bought two 7459 units - these are week old. I'm having the above issue on both. No resolution from Dell... Did any of you managed  to resolve the issue?

1 Message

July 26th, 2016 00:00

Contacted dell today as I am having the same issues as well. There was no resolution to the issue after they did 2 updates and changed some setting on the computer.

August 1st, 2016 05:00

have the same problem dell have replaced with complete new computer still the same thing happened after a week, they are working on fixing it now have made me down load updates  for Graphics driver

1) Visit Support.dell.com

2) Select on your system

3) Click on drivers and download (make sure the Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit)

4) Click on  "Video (3 files)"

5) Download and install all those 3 files

Cheers

1 Message

August 1st, 2016 06:00

Any joy on this?  I have exactly the same problem with the same machine.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2016 11:00

I'll ping my Dell tech contacts...

No Events found!