Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2012 14:00

Inspiron I530 Fan Control

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron I530 desktop with Vista 64.

Who is responsible for fan control/thermal management, BIOS or Vista? I think it is BIOS but I want to make sure.

The reason I ask is if I boot into a Linux CD, I will not have Vista running. I wouldn't want to overheat the thing.

Also, the last time I was in BIOS, I don't remember seeing anything regarding the fans, like setpoints, etc. Or did I miss them?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 14:00

mcu

BIOS.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 16:00

It's the latest BIOS. 1.0.18, I believe. I just reflashed it a couple of months ago.

mcu

Sorry, but I don't completely comprehend your post.

I have the same BIOS version 1.0.18 in my 530 MT, running Windows 7.

Bev. 

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 16:00

It's the latest BIOS. 1.0.18, I believe. I just reflashed it a couple of months ago.

April 3rd, 2012 17:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S too, and the fan cycles up/down/up/down frequently any time the PC is powered on.  I have updated the most current BIOS file, to 1.0.18, which did not help.  What can I do?

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 18:00

I guess I misunderstood your post.

I wasn't sure what 'Bev.' stood for. I though maybe you were asking me for BIOS Revision (Rev.)   ;-)

So, BIOS always controls the fans then?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 19:00

I guess I misunderstood your post.

I wasn't sure what 'Bev.' stood for. I though maybe you were asking me for BIOS Revision (Rev.)   ;-)

So, BIOS always controls the fans then?

mcu

Bev, is the short form of my name, Beverly.

Yes, Windows does not control the operation of the fans.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 19:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S too, and the fan cycles up/down/up/down frequently any time the PC is powered on.  I have updated the most current BIOS file, to 1.0.18, which did not help.  What can I do?

mike.brookside

The discussion is about the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower, not the 530s Slimline version.

This is normal. As the system works harder, the fan's speed will fluctuate, to keep the system's temperature within the normal operating range.

Have you recently opened the case and gave the fans, heatsink and all the components inside the case a thorough cleaning with canned compressed air [read the instructions prior to use], also check that the air intakes in the front panel are cleaned of any dust or debris buildup?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 22:00

mcu

You are welcome.

Bev.

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 22:00

Thanks, Beverly.

No Events found!