shelquis
2 Iron

RE: Inspiron One 20 Doesn't Display Anything

OK Rohe. I cleared BIOS as you suggested. Afterwards, I rebooted, no change in behavior. The power button came on solid, the optical drive led flashed a few times, the hard drive light came on solid for about 5 -10 seconds, then went off for good, i.e. no disk operation (with the blinking light) ever occurred.. At that point I turned it off and went and found a USB keyboard, plugged it in, pressed the power button, got drive lights as before, tapped F2 repeatedly. No display. But, after maybe 50 or so F2's, the power went off, and after another dozen or so F2's, the power came back on and I got the same drives lights as before. Does the fact that the drive lights extinguish so quickly provide any insight as to what's failed based on a start=up sequence? I tried the F2 procedure again, got the same behavior, i.e. it turned off then turned back on, but this time I had an audible alert when it turned back on. Five quick beeps, pause for a second or so, repeat beeps. It continued this beeping until I powered it down. I only get the beeps after the power light goes out and comes back on during the F2 procedure. Does any of this suggest anything to you?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

How many beeps are you hearing between pauses?

0 Kudos
shelquis
2 Iron

Five quick beeps, pause for a second or so, repeat beeps

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Five beeps means one of two things:

1.  A bad CMOS battery (also called the reserve battery).  If you haven't changed that, it would be the next thing to do.

If that doesn't solve the problem, and the five-beep sequence continues, it's a bad clock generator, meaning:

2.  The mainboard needs to be replaced (that component can't be replaced without micro-soldering, and while you might be able to find a shop that can replace it IF they can locate the part, it's likely to cost about what  or more than a replacement board would.

Replacing the battery is described in chapter 17 of the manual:

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-one-20-2020-aio_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Ejn63 types faster than I do.

When you removed/reinstalled that battery, did you insert it right-side-up and seat it correctly in the battery socket? You might want to check that before you buy a new battery, if you haven't already bought one.

Sounding like the motherboard died.  [:'(]

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
shelquis
2 Iron

Thanks ejn. I've never heard the "reserve" battery name before. There's only one CMOS battery, right? As part of the BIOS clearing procedure I did earlier, I removed the 2032. I was going to replace it as had been suggested, but instead I just tested it. I seemed to be as good as new, so I reinstalled it. Maybe not a good move. I'll go back in and replace t this time. You mention the "mainboard". Is this the board the battery sits on? I'll try replacing the battery first before I explore replacing the mainboard. I'll post with the results from that (probably tomorrow).

0 Kudos
shelquis
2 Iron

Hi RoHe. I'm absolutely certain I got the correct polarity on the battery. I'm less certain that I got it fully seated. I had a really tough time getting the battery out. The manual shows a release tab and makes it look real easy. I pushed the release tab as best I could, and the battery never really released. I more or less pried it out. So maybe I didn't really get it reseated properly. I reused the original battery, cause it tested really strong. I'll go back in and replace it with a new one, making sure I get it properly seated. Got any tips for easily removing the battery?

0 Kudos
shelquis
2 Iron

Hi RoHe. I'm absolutely certain I got the correct polarity on the battery. I'm less certain that I got it fully seated. I had a really tough time getting the battery out. The manual shows a release tab and makes it look real easy. I pushed the release tab as best I could, and the battery never really released. I more or less pried it out. So maybe I didn't really get it reseated properly. I reused the original battery, cause it tested really strong. I'll go back in and replace it with a new one, making sure I get it properly seated. Got any hints or tips for easily removing the battery?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

There is a metal leaf spring that holds the battery.  Push that aside and the battery should just pop out of the holder on its own.  You do not (and shouldn't) need to pull up  on the battery to release it.

0 Kudos
shelquis
2 Iron

OK, thanks ejn. Is it OK to try to power it on without replacing the back panel?

0 Kudos