Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2016 02:00

Inspiron One 2020 New Motherboard Help

Greetings & Salmenella

The upper memory slot on the motherboard of my Inspiron One 2020 is beeping known stop , two beep intervals. No matter what memory I put in the beeping continues. It only stops if i have one memory stick in the lower slot.  

I need help on verifying the correct motherboard to purchase or if there a different Dell mother board that I can upgrade to that will fit in the case housing. I dont mind if I have to make cuts or small holes on the back plate, since I already made holes for a tuner card I bought after I purchased the model that did not have the openings for the TV cable. 

I really dont wanna go buy a brand new computer for a bad 4meg memory slot. I have a solid state , the 8 gigs of ram ,and 2 gigs of ramdisk, it runs fast enough that I dont think about buy a new computer. But losing that 4gigs of ram in the bad memory slot. Holy Ding dongs, the hard drive takes for ever to stop making noise, surfing slows down  and compiling and writing visual basic for class takes forever.

Now for the short version.

What is the correct mother board model to replace an Inspiron One 2020 or is there a higher brand model that a mother board will fit my AIO housing and fit  all my computer guts. I have a iCore 5 -2390T cpu.

Love,

Stu

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 6th, 2016 07:00

All the boards for this model are the same -- but nothing other than the original will fit.

www.amazon.com/.../B00I9OQQ7U

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2016 05:00

There are very often different revisions used throughout the production run of the systems - the boards are of the same design, but different production batched.

Any board will fit any of these systems - that said, you can buy boards with at least 90-day warranties from vendors with fixed place of business for about $120-130;  it's up to you whether that added cost is warranted, but at least you'll know you have recourse if the system won't start up.

One piece of advice:  make sure your Ebay seller guarantees there are no passwords set on the board.   If there are, you'll be in for a world of trouble.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 6th, 2016 18:00

Before you go to the extreme here...

Try clearing BIOS first to see if you can clear the error...

1. With RAM in the lower slot, reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current settings, to be safe. Then:
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reseat both RAM modules
  8. Reinstall battery - use a fresh CR2032 coin cell battery if this one is old; ~$2.00
  9. Close up and see if it boots now

Note: If you get an error message (other than 2 beeps), reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure all BIOS settings match what you copied. Be sure to save any changes before exiting setup.

And if you're lucky...

EDITED

November 6th, 2016 18:00

Ugh this is what I always hated , I followed your link and for that much , I can upgrade to a more current model. but if I do that, I'm stuck with the broken memory slot one , and that will drive me bonkers, as I already have 2 laptop and 2 computers in the guest house collecting lint. ANd those are driving me crazy that I cant unload them  and they all need like a minor part to be fully functioning.

You win, Ill take-your advice. Ill buy a refurbished questionable used mother board from eBay and risk it. If it dont work, Ill throw all my systems in the trash (memory, hard drive, cpu, all in the trash) BUt Ill keep the mouse, as that is to valuable and by a new system, so my mind is at ease.

And thanks for verifying the correct mother board.

Hugs,

Stu

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 7th, 2016 08:00

And make very sure the memory is inserted correctly.  If it doesn't seat correctly it will cause the situation you describe.  It happened to me once on a 2720 and it took me a couple of times to realize the problem.

Of course, if the slot is really broken....

November 10th, 2016 01:00

Weird. I thought I posted something last night. Anyway, No luck. The beeping starts as soon as I power up.Hey there s a dude on ebay selling a motherbaord but the model is a s1155 ot a 1156I zoomed in and it looks like my mother boardc, will it work but why are the model  numbers differnt?

And no luck with rebooting the memory and the battery .

thi is the ebay :  www.ebay.com/.../222305838502

cause at $2000 for a new mother board, i might as well junk this one and put 200 into a new system

December 20th, 2016 17:00

Greetings and Salmonella

Please continue reading if you wish to have at least 5 minutes of your life taken away and that you can never get back.

There are times in a man's life where he must choose between Ketchup or Catsup. That moment came to me when I had to decided on the s1155 or the s1156 motherboard. The s1155 was on eBay for $75, whilst thou the s1156 was retailed marked at $200. Mamma Mia !!!!

I downloaded the images of both mother boards at 80x80 pixels , then I zoomed in 1000x. The only difference I could see with so much pixilation was the connection for the touch screen feature was missing on the s1156 model. So I purchased the one on eBay for $75 , using my mommies credit card.

I surgically stripped the other board out and with hands shaking like I took 10 Ephedra pills, I replaced it with the new 1155 board. For the sake of science, I also tried to place the memory chip into the CPU slot. IMPOSSIBLE!!!! NO way will it fit.

I booted up the system.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Everything works , except no touching the screen features!!!! I never touch the screen on a desktop, maybe a personal tablet. Cause imagine all the bacteria that land on your fingers and get stuck on your monitor , then someone else like a friend who probably picked his nose, touches your screen.

I want to thank you all for your support.  Viva Las Milli Vanilli

Now the less dramatic ...

Dell Inspiron One 2020 AIO Intel Motherboard s1156 = TOUCH SCREEN

Dell Inspiron One 2020 AIO Intel Motherboard s1155 = NO TOUCH FEATURES

Huggles & Snuggles,

Stu (teeee heeee heee)

P.S. Now I got a CPU from the old board sitting here staring at me, saying, "Give me a home.". Part of me wants to trash it cause who's gonna buy a useless processor but I don't like wasting things but I don't like having stuff clutter, it all adds up when you start storing things. The choices in life, such agony!!!!

No Events found!