Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2014 07:00

Inspiron One 2205 All-in-one will not turn on just amber light

I have a problem with a Dell inspiron one 2205n all in one touch screen.

When i turn on the power button it stays amber, but I hear the fan start.

A previous post HERE mentioned this 'So the culprit could be either your internal power supply or the internal 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell battery'.

So I replaced the coin cell battery, the pc started OK , but as to check the system for faults. It then said it could no fix it , so restart PC with no other leads attached apart form power lead of course.

I did this and I have the same problem again, amber power button, blanck screen, but the fan seems to be working louder tnay before I replaced the Batttery.

Is my next option to orer and  replace the internal power supply unit as advised in the other post. it seems this is acoomon problem for Dell computers.

orderd Pc 27.7.2011  model number Do502207

many thanks in advance for your comments and help!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 28th, 2014 18:00

Is amber power button steady or blinking?

When you replaced the battery, did you press/hold power button for ~30 sec before installing new one?

You can try disconnecting everything fro PC including power cord, then press/hold power button for ~30 sec before reconnecting power cord and trying to boot.

You did mean model 2205, not 2205n that you wrote? The 2205 has external power supply. So it could be that part which failed. I see no listing for a 2205n.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 29th, 2014 12:00

Hi.  I have a 2205 with the same problem.  I've replaced the button battery, held the power button for 30 sec with power cord disconnected, but still won't boot - amber light is solid.  Is replacing the external power supply my next step?  Alternatively, is their a way to remove the disk drive and connect it to my laptop in order to access the files??

thanks

Did you press/hold power button for ~30 sec after you removed the battery and before you installed the new one?

According to the setup guide, a solid amber power button means there was an error during POST, not that the power supply isn't working. So I don't think replacing the power brick is going to help you.

You'll find instructions to remove the HDD in the manual. It's probably a laptop or mSATA hard drive so you'd need a hard drive enclosure or one of those "case-less" USB adaptors. Either one will allow you to connect the HDD via USB to any other PC. Be sure you know what type drive you have and make sure the case or case-less device supports that type of drive.

November 29th, 2014 00:00

Hi Ron

Many thanks for your reply

The light was steady and the model is 2205, I later disconnected the power supply and held the power button in for 30 seconds and the PC fired up fine. This morning it restarted again, so it looks as though the little battery has solved the problem for now.

Regards

Steve

1 Message

November 29th, 2014 05:00

Hi.  I have a 2205 with the same problem.  I've replaced the button battery, held the power button for 30 sec with power cord disconnected, but still won't boot - amber light is solid.  Is replacing the external power supply my next step?  Alternatively, is their a way to remove the disk drive and connect it to my laptop in order to access the files??

thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 29th, 2014 12:00

Hi Ron

Many thanks for your reply

The light was steady and the model is 2205, I later disconnected the power supply and held the power button in for 30 seconds and the PC fired up fine. This morning it restarted again, so it looks as though the little battery has solved the problem for now.

Regards

Steve

November 30th, 2014 23:00

Hi Ron

After working fine for 3 day the PC will not start up again this morning. I have disconnected the power supply and other leads and held in the button a number of times for over 30 seconds. 

When I go to turn on power it goes straight to amber,  not flashing, and I hear the fan start up but nothing else.

Do I now need to get a new power supply unit and which one.  Can I also get a lead to access my files?

Regards

Steve

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 1st, 2014 11:00

Hi Ron

After working fine for 3 day the PC will not start up again this morning. I have disconnected the power supply and other leads and held in the button a number of times for over 30 seconds. 

When I go to turn on power it goes straight to amber,  not flashing, and I hear the fan start up but nothing else.

Do I now need to get a new power supply unit and which one.  Can I also get a lead to access my files?

Regards

Steve

Bummer... :emotion-6:

As I told JoPaTa above, the setup guide says a solid amber power button means it failed the POST, not that there's a problem with the power supply. So I don't know that replacing the power brick is going to help. You can probably find one on eBay, but be sure it's the same model number as on this brick. Or you can contact Dell Spare Parts.

If you're willing/able to work inside the case, be sure to read all the cautions in the manual first. You may want to carefully reseat RAM modules and any removable cards in their slots. Check all cable connections, and use canned air to blow out all the dust bunnies. If that doesn't help, remove all RAM modules. You should get two beeps. If not, the motherboard failed. If it beeps, you can reinstall one of the RAM modules in slot 1 and see if it boots now, and then swap in the other module to see if you can identify a bum module.

If this is too much for you, you might want to take it to a reliable PC shop for a checkup.

June 4th, 2015 10:00

Hello I am having a problem with my Dell Inspiron ONE there's an amber on that comes on only when I turn on the power button and I can hear that the power/fan is on.

Please help me

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 5th, 2015 10:00

Hello I am having a problem with my Dell Inspiron ONE there's an amber on that comes on only when I turn on the power button and I can hear that the power/fan is on.

Please help me

Next time start your own new thread. :emotion-5:

Exactly which Inspiron One do you have?

Where are you seeing the amber LED? And Is it steady or blinking?

What version of Windows?

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 16:00

Hello, sorry to dig this old post up but has a solution been found? I am having the same problem and so far I have only replaced the coin-cell battery and still no fix?

1 Message

August 28th, 2015 17:00

i took mine to a computer store.. it was the the processor or the i cannot remember the name thing with pins .. he said when the computer gets hot it starts to come off the board and he had to reglue it back... but it has stopped working again.

1 Message

October 17th, 2017 08:00

All, I have the solid amber light issue and the fan inside goes on.   I tried everything and was not successful.  So if anyone wants my Dell Inspiron One 2205 for spare parts let me know  Just respond to this thread,  I live in Oakton Virginia.  I will take out my SSD and leave the two 4 GB RAM sticks in.

Here is what I did

1) I removed back cover and cleaned out fan area.  This was pretty clean as I did that about 2 months ago.  Did not help.  See this video, this is what happened to me years ago

www.youtube.com/watch and I used his instructions to clean it

2) I disconnected and put back in the hard drive.  About 3 years ago I put in an SSD and wanted to double check both the power and sata cable.

3) I tried booting up with a recovery DVD and the screen was still black, so I assumed the card that drove the video was bad.  I paid $7.95 and bought this

Dell Inspiron One 2205 LCD Video Converter Inverter Board R4J4Y

That did not help.

4) I then saw a vidoe of a guy where he found that if he put repasted the cpu and gpu with new thermal paste that would solve it.  So took of the heat sink for the cpu and gpu and scraped off the old thermal pasted, applied new thermal paste. I was really hopeful for this.  This did not nothing.

5) I then pulled out the 2 RAM sticks (I upgraded the RAM a long time ago to 8 GB) and that did not work.  I tried booting up with 1 RAM stick, then the other, then with no RAM sticks in.  Nothing changed.  I was expecting to hear

beeping when I had no RAM sticks in.  

After all of this I now think my Motherboard is bad.  Since this is about 5 or 6 years old it is not worth replacing or trynig to fix any more.  I was hoping for a quick or cheap fix I could do myself.

No Events found!