Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2010 19:00

Inspiron One 2305, buzzing

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar issues or have any feedback. I've been on the phone with Dell tech support quite a few times and even had a technician come by to replace the hard drive and internal speakers, but the issue keeps coming back. Basically, the machine boots up with no noise and no issues. Problem is once the monitor display sleeps and I wake it up, there's this annoying buzzing sound coming from the speakers. I've updated all drivers and did everything I can think of. The buzzing noise is constant once it comes on. The only way to stop it is to reboot the machine again. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

1 Message

June 5th, 2011 17:00

If you press the video inout selector on left and change from dell inspiron to one of the others and then return it back the noise will be gone. I am on my second PC for this issue. The second PC also has the buzzing, clearly they shipping pc's with faulty parts.

12 Posts

June 6th, 2011 03:00

Thanks ScoutH.

1 Message

June 9th, 2011 12:00

Video Buzz and Squeal

Same issue here with the first and now the second Inspiron One, they sent me for replacement. Both are refurbished. I discovered the issue the first day I received the first one as I was building it for a Client. After spending some time installing software and removing the junkware already on the machine, the video finally went to sleep. When it woke there was a distinct 60Hz buzzing.

This though annoying would have been acceptable, but once I opened an excel spreadsheet (populated) the computer squealed. the high pitch squealing varies with the video being displayed. The worst and loudest noise I found was with a full screen Excel document fully populated or Word doc full of text. not a blank document.

Dell just called me (literally while writing this) to verify that the new one is working properly. I informed him of the continuing issue and of this Forum and the 171 replies on this exact issue. If only 10% would think to research the issue and only 10% found this forum, and only 10% actually responded... there would be a bunch of people having this exact issue. I inquired, since this is clearly a documented issue on the dell site, why I had to jump through hoops for an hour with Tier One support, and go through all the order and reorder of parts and a replacement. A lot of my time unnecessarily wasted trouble shooting for them, for what is already a known issue with a known fix.

I referenced the parts mentioned above. he said the VRM5D no longer has any reference. But the D4V54 is an audio video board.

I indicated that these refurbished computers are being send out without proper QA. He's looking into getting me a new part asap and looking into the QA issue.  We'll see...  (more later)

1 Message

June 11th, 2011 11:00

Scouth--

I'm very interested in the refusal to wake up from sleep problem.  I had the same issue with my 2305 and after a few weeks of turning it off manually, the computer totally stopped working.  I got a brand new unit, and after being installed for five days, I'm having the same problem already.  I'm afraid it will lead to another total system failure.   Do you know if there's any way to stop this from happening?   Any settings to adjust?  I just spend four weeks totally without the use of my computer and don't want to go through that again!  (P.S.  Brand new unit still buzzes after waking up from sleep!) 

23 Posts

June 11th, 2011 18:00

eslsan: I have tried everything I know to do and everything any tech has asked me to try, all to no avail.  The problem persists.

12 Posts

June 15th, 2011 04:00

An engineer has called and replace the D4V54 daughter board on my 2310 with a modified D4V54 board.  The capacitor added on fouled the screening cover so the capacitor had to be resoldered and mounted lower on the PCB.

Dell should not have got that physically wrong in my view.  It is also interesting to note where they mount it there are pads for 10 capacitors to be mounted in parallel but they only fit two small caps.  Seems someone desined the board to have much higher capacitance and some one along the way decided not to fit the components and now they have a problem in having to increase again. ...who knows as all guesses.

Anyway! Testing the buzz has stopped when the screen comes on again.  However the volume remains reduced and so yet again have to scan through the input modes to get the volume back where it should be..about twice the level.

So fault still exists but only one symptom now not two.   I now await what Dell do next.

13 Posts

July 6th, 2011 06:00

Is anyone having problems with the PC freezing at random times? It mostly happens when the monitor is sleeping, however I've seen it freeze while actively using it and while the screensaver was up. An error log is generated in Event Viewer showing that the computer had an unexpected system shutdown.

23 Posts

July 6th, 2011 18:00

I have also had my PC freeze up at random times.  I no longer let the monitor sleep because the monitor often refuses to turn on again, although, the PC is still working.  When the PC freezes, the event viewer reports an unexpected system shutdown.

I have also had the AMD video driver crash from time to time.  Currently it crashes every time I try to play an MP4 video (using any video application).

Overall this is a pretty nice machine.  But it has problems.  Customers really shouldn't have to put up with these issues.

13 Posts

July 6th, 2011 21:00

ScoutH: Are you still having a buzzing problem? I'm just wondering if the buzzing problem is associated with the freezing.

23 Posts

July 7th, 2011 17:00

I am no longer having a buzzing problem since Dell replaced the A/V board on the back of the computer.  I'm glad that problem is gone.  I just wish the other problems were gone as well.

20 Posts

July 30th, 2011 10:00

I sure do hope the issue is solved I just ordered 10 for work and had planned on ordering 30 more.  I do have to pull the wireless cards ( no wireless allowed at work ) so will look at the sound card and see how the current one looks.

we always have the monitors go to sleep to reduce wear and power, but leave the PCs on for updates

2 Posts

August 11th, 2011 19:00

i have the same prob but i have an inspiron 530. let me guess it starts off after about 15 min's of having ur sound on... because i cant figure out y it happens do me to... and whats sad is that i got my speakers with the computer to...

9 Posts

September 14th, 2011 22:00

Jon,

FYI, I just read this and did notice that after coming out of Sleep, the volume is not as loud as it was before going into Sleep.  To correct this, I cycle through the inputs (composite, hdmi....) and the sound gets noticably louder again.

I did have the fix to repair the buzzing which did work, but this volume thing bugs me.

Anybody know if Dell has a fix for this problem too?

12 Posts

September 15th, 2011 01:00

Hi Krandy.  As far as I am aware, Dell do not have a fix for this problem in the UK.  I do not know if the Daughter board upgrade mentioned previously works or not as Dell say they cannot source for UK computers. They want my machine back to investigate. I have refused as I do not see why they should use my computer as an investigation tool for what I have always believed is not an individual fault or shall we say characteristic.

I have found a away around this.  I leave my compter set to 2 hours display off and Sleep mode.  However when waking up, do not use the mouse or touch screen , I now  use the power button to wake the computer up.  Also when I know I might be away for an hour, sat at lunch time, I use the power button to put computer into hybernation I I think it is hybernation it goes into although  might be sleep)  and again use power button to wake up.  This way I do not have to annoyingly select a different video mode and back again.

Dell have assured me if they find a fix they will let me know, or if I change my mind and want it investigated to get in touch.

So!  Can I ask  you to  try the power button to wake up and see what happens to the volume. It is also pleasing to know I am not alone with this issue, as beginning to wonder if I was the only one with the volume issue.

Jon

2 Posts

September 28th, 2011 22:00

I bought a refurbished unit so at first I thought this was par for the course, but it looks like this is a widespread hardware problem. I first noticed this problem after coming back to the computer after the screen had shut off. The buzzing sound appeared when the screen turned back on. The intensity varies with how much brightness was on the screen. I think it's a power supply issue (or at least a power supply issue dealing with the screen). Cycling through the inputs does get rid of the buzzing. I have had to use the following settings to get it NOT to come back. Set windows to not turn the screen off. Therefore I have to put it to sleep when I walk away for an extended period of time. I had to disable the keyboard and mouse's ability to wake from sleep because they kept waking the computer up randomly.

I want this fixed! They have been selling this computer for well over a year. It should not have problems like this!

-Jonathan

No Events found!