Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2013 14:00

Inspiron One 2305 has stopped booting up. Steady amber light on power switch. Fans and HD run. No video/splash. No POST beeps.

My inspiron one 2305 has just quit working.   On power up, the power switch glows a steady amber.  The fans come on and you can hear the HD start to spin up and run.  No video, splash screen, or anything else.  No POST beeps, either.   A possible cause was the LCD inverter, but I've just installed a new one and that did not fix the problem.  External power supply appears to be functioning normally.   I suspect the motherboard is gone.    And the warranty is long expired, of course.

Apparently this issue is a common one for the 2305 and a result of defective design on Dell's part.    Quite a few other people are experiencing the same problem.   Anyone else run across this and fixed it?

7 Posts

April 20th, 2013 00:00

I have the same issue with mines.

April 21st, 2013 11:00

A common problem is with the SATA cable that connects to your disk drive. The factory-supplied one does not have metal clamps and it works itself loose causing disk problems.

7 Posts

April 21st, 2013 12:00

Could we just plug it back in and the system boot up, or does it needs to be replace. Also since we are getting no beeps does that lead to some other issues?

3 Posts

April 21st, 2013 13:00

Unplugging the SATA cable and re-seating it does not solve the problem.  Neither does replacing the SATA cable.  I have just replaced the LCD inverter with a new one, and tried a new external power supply.  No change - problem still exists.

7 Posts

April 21st, 2013 13:00

Nothing seem to work for me either. I hated that I wasted my money on this. I should knew better when the laptop failed after just a little over a year not to buy another dell.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 09:00

Turns out it's a bad motherboard.   Tore into the machine today, and no POST beeps at all after removing memory. Also removed the battery and let the CMOS discharge.  On power up, still no POST beeps.  All in all, just a motherboard failure.   For the price of a replacement motherboard for this PC, I can just about buy a new computer.  I'm looking at the new Lenovo all-in-ones.   Won't go back to Dell....

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 11:00

Won't be a dell.

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 11:00

More likely that what is wrong with minds too, It seems that their is a high failure rating of this model when it comes to the motherboard. I have a HP laptop that is 7 years old. I had it for a little over a year and it failed, but HP replace the board for free, because they knowledge that the boards were bad. Give me a 18 month service contract. Dell should do the same, but I know they won't,so my next system be a dell.

1 Message

July 5th, 2017 08:00

I think they are just hoping this problem goes away. I've had three 2305s do this to me. Obviously a factory defect that rears its head after warranty is ended. Eventually everyone that has one will just get a new computer and Dell will never have to deal with it.

No Events found!