Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2013 11:00

Inspiron One never wakes from sleep

I have an Inspiron One 2305 and it doesn't wake from sleep (sometimes). I set all power management to completely disable any trace of sleep mode, but it goes to sleep anyway and doesn't wake up--I have to do about 5 hard resets per week. Is there any solution?

1.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 11:00

Hi d1g174l,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error.

Please change the power plan to default settings. You may uninstall and reinstall the display drivers. Please follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.
  • Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘uninstall’.

You may download and install the latest drivers from the link: http://dell.to/10mHPT6.

You may update the system BIOS. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/10mGo76.

Note: Do not turn off power before update complete. Connect your computer any surge protector (if available) to avoid any unexpected shut down. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for the help and I tried all of the above suggestions; however, the problem still persists. I can tell that the computer is still running, but the screen is black and unresponsive to keyboard or mouse activity, and CTRL+ALT+DEL. I have TrendMicro SafeSync, Dropbox, and CrashPlan (all backup services) running in the background; however, this problem occurred before Dropbox or CrashPlan were installed.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 30th, 2013 00:00

Hi d1g174l,

You will have to change the power management settings of the keyboard and mouse so that it wakes up your computer from sleep. Please follow the steps mentioned below to enable a feature "Allow this device to wake the computer"

1.    Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button  . In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.
2.     When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘keyboards’ and ‘Mice and other pointing device’ in the device manager.
3.    Click on the arrow mark beside ‘keyboards’ and ‘Mice and other pointing device’.
4.    Right click on the keyboard and mouse installed on your computer.
5.    There you should find the ‘Power management’. Where you will be able to setup "Allow this device to wake the computer"
6.   Click on ‘Ok’ and restart the computer to check for the issue.

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

May 31st, 2013 17:00

Those settings were already checked. Also, this doesn't happen all the time--most of the time, the mouse or keyboard successfully wakes up the computer. It's just once or twice a week that the screen is black, but the computer is clearly running, and neither keyboard nor mouse successfully wakes the computer from sleep.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi d1g174l,

I would suggest you to flash the BIOS first and then update Video card driver to check if it fixes the issue.

Inspiron One 2305 BIOS                 : http://dell.to/15nTvZM

Inspiron One 2305 Video card     : http://dell.to/15qKCxW

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

June 4th, 2013 14:00

I had already updated the BIOS and video card drivers last week. I was curious about one thing: In the Control Panel, there are several components listed:

1. HID Keyboard Device

2. Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard

3. Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard

4. Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys

The mouse also has 3 versions of "HID Compliant Mouse", 2 of which have a Power Management tab. Maybe I should delete one of the versions? Either way, the computer went dead again today, still running, but unable to wake from sleep with mouse or keyboard.

Steve

6 Posts

June 5th, 2013 15:00

Yes, I am using the original wireless mouse and wireless keyboard.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi d1g174l,

I would like to know if you are using the wireless keyboard / mouse shipped with the system.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 7th, 2013 14:00

Hi d1g174l,

I would like you to uninstall all the components listed under Keyboard and mouse in Device manager, then restart the system and check if it fixes the issue.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2013 17:00

Update: I looked under "Performance and Information Tools" in the Control Panel and found the issue "Device may be causing Windows to wake up slowly." When I clicked it, the driver listed was "AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver" called atikmpag.sys. Can I remove this file?

12 Posts

June 18th, 2013 22:00

You have done alt of software trouble Shooting/

try booting to SAFT mode/turn computer Press F12 selted boot

select SAFE MODE when computer boots to safe mode GO to MY Computer control clict or right clict/Select-Propertes

when opens check tabes.To find DEVICE MANGER<

hight keey board ann mouse seapery then Right clic open -Propertes see if More than one driver installed for eather device,

(thes is a problem if more than one for eather,

before deleating any driver's then reboot to normal WINDOWS<

If HAVE OLD USB Keyboard,try,Same with mouse, Did have Problem bad Keyboard,

good luck   4ROB

No Events found!