Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2015 11:00

Inspiron One2310 how to replace a possibly deffective sata cable on hard drive

Hello

One month ago i had hard drives problems
 especially on an ubuntu/linux partition. Forums said i could have sata cable problem or hard drive problems. Hard drive testing showed an excessive temperature wile testing (approx 70oC). So i've changed the hard drive. Faster, bigger, but ... here again system continues t freeze

Now i would like to change the sata cable but:

- what reference should i buy and where ?

- on my hard drive, there are 2 cables with flat connectors. But where should they be connected to motherboard ?

- any advice to remove the old cable and replace with the new one ?

I've read plenty other topic showing it should be possible to replace the cable but i don't thins this should be a good idea to mis connect a cable.

Thank you in advance.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 18th, 2015 19:00

If you already replaced the hard drive you should know where the cables are and where they go. One is the SATA power cable that goes directly to the power supply and the other is the SATA data cable that goes to the motherboard.

So disconnect the data cable from the HDD and from the motherboard and buy the same length cable at any PC shop or web site. SATA data cables are standard and nothing unique. Just remember where the motherboard connector is.

Freezes can be caused by lots of different things and I'd investigate those before replacing the data cable.

Have you run the diagnostics on the RAM, which is a frequent cause of freezes? Have you reseated the RAM modules in their slots? Do you have the latest drivers, eg video driver, for your hardware?

Are there any updates to your apps and software?

Do the freezes happen when you're running a specific app? Since this seems to happen on the Linux partition is something not fully compatible with Linux..?

5.2K Posts

April 19th, 2015 08:00

Agree100% with Ron. A bad SATA cable will not work at all. I actually had one. The computer would not boot, period.  An intermittent failure because of an almost broken wire would be rare, as intermittent failures are usually related to something moving and giving broken wire separation and rejoining. You will need to get the new cable to sort it out. They are available in several configurations, either straight plus or 90º, based on clearance near the hard drive.

April 19th, 2015 12:00

I've already ran the dell diagnostics

- using the dell.com on the windows/7 dell original partition did not detect anything

- at boot time selecting diagnostics detected a problem with hard drive

I've recently encountered an unprevioulsy seen BSOD en Windows/7 partition

linux logs clearly shows sata problems

Drivers are up to date : bios dell up to date.

One more new behavior is after the machine has freezed, i sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect the sata cable connected to the hard drive to be able to restart.

Not doing this prevents the system even to detect the hard drive : it says there is no hard drive when choosing F12 choose boot media at startup !

This problems seems to be linked with up time ou heat because the freeze appears after a 1 o 2 hours period of machine up time.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 20th, 2015 10:00

Any errors in Windows Event Viewer around the time of the last freeze? eg, Thermal Event.

May 2nd, 2015 12:00

Rohe

I didn't find any relevant event in Windows Event Viewer

Notice i don't use Windows/7 very frequently.

I think 'ive found a workarround for thi problem

15 days ago, i've re-opened the computer, go to the mother board where there are two wires/ports for sata.

The blue one seem to be connected to DVD, the red one seems to be connected to hard drive.

I've just inverted the position of the wires : connected the blue wire (dvd) where the nard drive was connected (red). Also connected the red wire (hd) where the dvd was connected (blue).

Since there is one only sata board on the pc inverting should have no effect on devices or concerning mother board.

Since then i've never encoutered any more error.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2015 11:00

Typically, the blue SATA port (SATA0) on the motherboard is where the boot hard drive is supposed to be connected. So that probably was the cause for the problems.

Glad you got it sorted. 

No Events found!