wichitaks
1 Nickel

RE: Inspiron i3636 -- Random OS Freezes When Idle

Jump to solution

Ron,

Thank you for sticking in there!

Regarding an add-on video card, there is none. This particular motherboard has only one slot, and that one is for the single SODIMM module (yes, this is a desktop). Believe it or not, all of the power needed by this unit is supplied by a single 65 watt DC power supply "brick" which only gets a little bit warm, even when the processor is under a full load for an extended period of time.

However, with the USB3 HDD, I think you are on to something. Just before freezing each time, the event viewer is recording an error from the WudfRd which says it is not loading properly. In searching, I found that error code is for the Windows Driver Foundation which is part of the driver system for hard drives. I changed the service corresponding to the Windows Driver Foundation from manual to automatic, and that seemed to get rid of errors associated with the Seagate internal drive. However, the WudfRd was still throwing errors. In particular one came with WPDBUSENUM, which searching for that is the "Portable Device Enumerator (WPDBusEnum) service" which says it is for "Enforces group policy for removable mass-storage devices. Enables applications such as Windows Media Player and Image Import Wizard to transfer and synchronize content using removable mass-storage devices." -- To me, that sounds an awful lot like the USB3 HDD you are indicating.

So, I have disconnected the USB3 HDD. 

Your determination in troubleshooting is appreciated. I will let you know what happens!

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

That's why I asked about USB devices, aside from mouse and keyboard, and suggested you try running without the USB3 HDD to see if that makes a difference...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
wichitaks
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Ron,

The good news is that it went all the way to today before freezing. However, it did just freeze again, not responding to the keyboard, mouse, or the power button (except hard reset). I uploaded the history from the Reliability monitor as an xml file. I am confused because it seems to be passing all of the hardware tests. It is under a Squaretrade warranty. But, if I send it in, someone will test it, and it will pass all of the hardware tests for them as well.

Do you think a clean install of Windows 10 would make a difference? This was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 which came with the machine.

Thank you again for your persistence!

Mark

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Was the USB3 HDD connected when it froze?

I see a lot of issues with Windows not shutting down correctly in your log.  And Windows reminderserver.exe failed in the last event recorded.

So a clean Win 10 reinstall might solve this problem, but you won't know unless you do it.  Be sure to back up all your personal files on external media first and make sure you have the installation media and product keys for any software you installed, not to mention a bunch of 'spare' time.

You can download the tools to reinstall Win 10 for free from Microsoft. You're going to need a USB stick with probably 8 GB or more space. And you should download all the latest Win 10 drivers for your specific hardware from the Dell site on another USB so you have them ready to install as soon as you finish the clean install. Then get anti-viral software running and launch Windows Update before installing any other software... 

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
wichitaks
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Regarding time, I am on Christmas break so now is the best time for this...

I tried the lazy way to just to a reset, keeping my files. It did do what it promised. However, whatever drivers are causing issues were still there. DCOM was just screaming errors in the event viewer, at least a full page of 10016 by itself with a couple of pages worth of other random errors from all sorts of programs.

So, here goes with the "clean install" using the Medial Creator tools.

I will keep you posted!

Mark

0 Kudos
wichitaks
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Ron,

A quick update on the little Inspiron i3646, I did go ahead with the clean install following your instructions. The install worked perfectly. So far, we are at eight days and no system freezes. However, every application with its accompanying profile had to be reinstalled (a lot of time). The strange thing is that regarding drivers, these are exactly the same drivers that were in the previous installation. However, the difference is that the previous installation was an upgrade from Windows 8.1; albeit when the computer came out of the box, the first thing I did after setting it up was to upgrade the system to Windows 10. Do you suppose the problem had something to do with the upgrade process?

Regarding setup of the fresh install, I went through the configuration and made all of the changes you had previously suggested regarding sleep and power settings. At this point, there have been no issues with the new install.

I would like to thank you for your tenacity and determination to hang in there. Your help is appreciated!

Have a Happy New Year!

Mark

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Glad you got it sorted!

Most of the time upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10 goes ok, but some times... 

A clean install is always better because it gets rid of issues that existed prior to the update which the update can't/won't fix, and could make worse.

And yes, clean installs and reinstalling all your software and settings takes a lot of time.

Now that you have a clean Win 10 install, you should image the HDD on external media (eg, USB hard drive). That way if something goes amiss down the road. you can just reimage the HDD very quickly and be done with it.

If you have either a Seagate or Western Digital USB HDD, you can get a free (limited) version of the manufacturer's imaging software. Seagate's DiscWizard only makes full backups of the entire drive (rather than incremental backups) but that's adequate for making an image of the HDD.  And over time you can always create new images which will include any Windows updates etc that were installed since the previous image was made.

And Happy 2017 to you too! [<Smiley Surprised)]

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos