Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2013 07:00

Inspiron will not boot

I have an Inspiron 546 that will not turn on at times. The orange light next to CMOS battery is constantly solid yellow. The light on the power supply in green. When pushing the power button,  nothing happens at all. When I unplug the power cord and then press and hold the power button it turns off the the yellow light near the CMOS battery. Once plugging in the cord it will power on with a single beep and start up. It does seem very slow and once when loading the desktop the image was dark of the desktop not allowing anything to be selected or clicked but the mouse pointer was clear as day and responsive. From what I have read the single beep can indicate RAM. I have taken both sticks of RAM out and reseated them to ensure they were installed correctly as well as inserting one at a time and swapping positions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

October 9th, 2013 07:00

Hi Actegra,

I appreciate you technical expertise. You have performed almost all the steps which should have resolved the issue. I recommend one last step that is clearing CMOS settings:

1. Remove the computer cover.
  2. Reset the current CMOS settings:
    1. Locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) on the system board.
    2. Remove the jumper plug from the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
    3. Place the jumper plug on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds.
    4. Remove the jumper plug and replace it on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
  3. Replace the computer cover.
  4. Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them on.

Note: The computer must be disconnected from the electrical outlet to clear the CMOS setting.

If the issue persists even after clearing CMOS settings, I suspect the motherboard is faulty. You may consider replacing the motherboard

18 Posts

October 9th, 2013 23:00

I had tried tjis previously but wasn unsure if I did this right. After unplugging the mouse keyboard monitor and power I moved the jumper. This caused the cmos light to turn off quicker than usual. After five mins I moved the jumper back,  plugged everything back in and immediately after the power cord was connected, the light lit up and nothing when pressing the power button. As a curiosity,  would it b possible that it could be the ram, power supply or maybe awrong bios version? is there any other way to test the motherboard or that it is in fact the motherboard?  I would just like to make sure before doing anything uneeded. Thank you for your help.

• 

3.3K Posts

October 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi Actegra

Thank you for trying the suggested steps. Please check by replacing the CMOS battery. If the issue persists even with a known good CMOS battery, I suspect it is a motherboard failure. Let me know the region you belong to, to provide the contact information to replace the motherboard.

23 Posts

February 16th, 2014 11:00

I have the same computer and it acted that way after doing an upgrade to the hard drive. What i found was Dell Diags on the hard drive in a hidden partition that are a fantastic tool to access for problem solving. Download EaseUS partition master Software Free Home edition. With that software you can access the partition and run the diags. If your able try this first boot with the F12 option and look for the diagnostic boot option. My problem for the speed of boot and intermitten booting was something in the MBR and doing a complete hd sweep with diags and tools solved my problem. 

1 Message

September 8th, 2015 17:00

Hi,

I have the same problem - I have a Dell Inspiron 546 and the amber light on the motherboard lights up. The power does not turn on.

Could this be a PSU issue at all? Or is it all those issues that have been discussed in this topic?

I almost ordered a PSU but then backed off when I saw this forum

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 8th, 2015 22:00

Hi,

I have the same problem - I have a Dell Inspiron 546 and the amber light on the motherboard lights up. The power does not turn on.

Could this be a PSU issue at all? Or is it all those issues that have been discussed in this topic?

I almost ordered a PSU but then backed off when I saw this forum

Thanks

shrikants

Does the power supply fan run/work?

The amber LED is the motherboard's 'Standby' Power Light, aka 'Flea Power', that only indicates that +5VFP power is reaching the motherboard, also the green light on the back panel of the power supply, does not indicate the power supply does not have issues.

What colour is the power button light, is it Blinking, Solid or Off?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

The Inspiron 535/537/545/546 Service Manual, is here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

The Troubleshooter, is here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!