Highlighted
frankstillhere
1 Copper

Insprion 1720 Freezes When I Use DVD Drive (this is different than the other posts)

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to install C&C Generals on my laptop.  My system surpasses all the requirements for the game.  The installation requires 2 cds.  The first disk goes without a hitch and then asks for the second disk.  When I place the second disk into the drive and click "ok", the drive works for a couple seconds, then the laptop freezes!   What the heck man?  I notice that if I start the software that is going to use the drive first, the system will freeze, but if I insert the disk first and let the system do its reading  and then I start the software that is going to use the drive, then the system doesn't freeze up... so naturally when I try to install a game with 2 cds the system locks up..( since there is software already running that will be using the drive)...  I appreciate any useful info you may have.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

Re: Insprion 1720 Freezes When I Use DVD Drive (this is different than the other posts)

First, this is the DESKTOP Hardware section.  There is separate sections for Laptops.  But, since your problem is a game install problem best to repost on the Gaming section of the forum for help.  This is not a PC hardware problem.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos