KimCaroline
1 Nickel

Installing New CPU in a Dell Dimension 9200

Hey,

Could anyone walk me thru the process of installing a new CPU in a Dell Dimension 9200? I'm upgrading from an Intel duo 6300 to a Q6700. I have the freeze liquid and have checked compatibility, etc.

I'm using this manual:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The directions say I need a long Phillips screwdriver "to loosen the two captive screws, one on each side of the plastic heat- sink assembly shield" but it seems like the screws won't budge. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks,

Kim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iroc9555
4 Tellurium

Re: Installing New CPU in a Dell Dimension 9200

Hi Kim.

Sorry but the Q6700 won't work in a D 9200. See here. The two captive screws do not come out all the way. They just turn counterclockwise half a turn or so. The best thermal paste you can use is Arctic Silver 5. Clean thoroughly the old one in the heatsink before applying the new one, just a little bit. The size of a grain of rice. You can use a Q-Tips with alcohol to clean it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

Hope it helps.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3. IE8 & FF38

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

0 Kudos
KimCaroline
1 Nickel

Thanks!

But I've had no help from Dell sources on confirming compatibility. I have read elsewhere that the Q6700 would work in my machine. Dell wants us to buy new, not refurbish, so I'm not sure what to do...

From the list you sent, I cannot tell which CPU is going to work w/ my BIOS. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kim

0 Kudos
vikas sharma
1 Copper

Hi kim i have using  Dell Dimension 9200.i had faced this problem recently.could u cal me at

<ADMIN NOTE:Telephone no.removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos
iroc9555
4 Tellurium

Hi Kim.

Looking at your posts. I saw that your D 9200 is in reality a XPS 210/Dimension 9200c (Look for the right manual). I do not know what motherboard or chipset, or for that matter, what BIOS the 9200c has. My advised was for the XPS 410/Dimension 9200 that at least from the outside are two completely different desktops. My PC has OWG855 motherboard, clock 800-1066 MHz data rate. Intel P965 Express Chipset. BIOS 5.0.3 and still can not handle a Q6700 CPU, according to the lists and account of other members in this and another forums. So sorry I understood wrong, however you must be sure that the XPS 210 can support the Q6700.

Addendum:

You said: "I found the CPU I bought on the list: Q6700 Processor.... " What list?? It is not in the list I gave you to read.

Identifying your PC by Model Code (DXC061):

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&...

Your manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/en/product_support_centra...

The advise given by dcgtls was based on the presumption that your PC was a XPS 410/D 9200, and still he may have miswritten the Q6700 for your sys. He even uses a Q6600 in his XPS 410.

PS: Do not post your E-Mail address on the forums. It is against regulations. Your post could be deleted. You can use Private Messages ( PM ) for that.

Good luck. 

Hernan.

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
KimCaroline
1 Nickel

Ah. So confusing. Thanks for the clarification and help!

Snapshot of my sys info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
System Model Dell DXC061
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz, 1862 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.4.0, 5/24/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.59 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.34 GB

I saw a posting that said their XPS 210 works with the Q6700. How can I find out which CPUs are compatible with my machine? I'd like to upgrade to 2.4G at least!

Thanks again--

Kim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
iroc9555
4 Tellurium

Hi Kim.

See my answer to Darious here.

Best of luck.

Hernan.

0 Kudos