PLEAIDES
1 Copper

RE: Installing SSD as boot drive in XPS 8900

Jump to solution

I just got off the phone with Dell tech support and they said, from the conversation, the system is not made to handle an SSID any larger than 256 Gig.  It saps the resources of the CPU.  What they told me was the best work around was to install the video production software to the SSID (Samsung 850) and leave the operating system on the Terabyte 7220 spinner.  This makes sense, because this unit I have just bought is a backup unit to a MacPro, which only has a 256 gigabyte SSID, and I run external solid SSIDs for storage using thunderbolt connections.

I called tech support before attempting to clone the Samsung drive, because they had previously sent the OS disc and said just format the Samsung, disconnect the original drive and reload.  did not work.  Failure to recognize primary partition and would not offer me boot partition option.

Dell offers a 256/7220 terabyte spinner as a hybrid, and it comes with 32 Gigs of Ram.  I guess it needs the ram to take the weight off the CPU.

Dell says that running the editing software from the SSID will be faster.  I agree.  I will need to also load the files needed to produce the video to the Samsung as well, because the difference between the data transfer speed of the SSID and the regular spiing drive will slow down the processes.  

The Samsung 850 is a Sata hookup.  I have a 950 which is a PCLE unit.  I need a very small diameter screw to finish the installation.  Dell does not provide these.  

Hope this helps someone out there, Thanks for the post.

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I used the Samsung software that came with my SSD to clone the system from the Dell HDD to my new SSD, but not all of the partitions (recovery I think) came over to the Samsung SSD. The system works great but apparently I have no recovery partition now. I'm wondering what pitfalls this may bring in the future, and what my options may be in the event of disaster. Any thoughts?  Order a system CD from Dell?

One solution is to create recovery media from the original HDD. Then install the SSD and use the recovery media to install the system on the SSD. That probably will get it right, with all the recovery partitions.

Likely media from Dell will do as well.

Phil

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I just got off the phone with Dell tech support and they said, from the conversation, the system is not made to handle an SSID any larger than 256 Gig.  It saps the resources of the CPU.

That sounds totally bizarre, the "saps the resources of the CPU". I noticed nothing of the sort operating for a week with a 1 TB SSD as my C: drive -- and I have gadgets installed which monitor CPU usage at all times.

Phil

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

The difference in performance with my conversion to the SSD is just amazing.  ALL the programs just run so much faster.  Even the wife has been blown away on how much faster programs load, execute, etc.

Well worth the hassle.  And yes Acronis True Image is a great program.

I'm sure for for some or most apps that is the case. I have an SSD in each of my laptops and would not have it any other way. But my XPS 8900 is used only for some very CPU intensive apps I use, so for my uses the SSD did not make a huge difference.

Phil

0 Kudos
PLEAIDES
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It makes me wonder if tech support just did not know what to do, and wanted to get rid of the issue.  I am going to load programs to the Samsung 850 and render a 10 minute video.  If the speed is ok, I may just keep that.

I have one other Samsung 950.  I will buy Acronis and set that up as the boot and operating system and see how fast it runs.  It is a Pcle, so it would have to clone from inside the case.  I saw the 8900 say it was searching for Pcle, so I may have better luck with that.  I was assured on Monday that the operating system would load from the OsS disc sent by Dell to the 850 without any trouble at all.  Not happening.

Thanks for you input.  I know how fast my MacPro runs with an SSID.

0 Kudos
PLEAIDES
1 Copper

Jump to solution

No disc comes with the unit.  You are supposed to clone the SSID with a USB appliance from the best I am able to figure out, looking at the quickstart guide that comes with the Samsung.  My Samsung did not come with a cable of any sort, and you need to buy a rack for it from Amazon, so it will fit in the bay.

I have built so many editing computers from scratch using Gigabyte and Asus boards that I am appalled at all this difficulty, thanks to Microsoft, and the fact that they are integrating the Microsoft Key into the board and attaching it to the Service Tag no. of your computer.  A new disc with its own key would go right in, just like the "old days".

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

No disc comes with the unit.  You are supposed to clone the SSID with a USB appliance from the best I am able to figure out, looking at the quickstart guide that comes with the Samsung.

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBPB4PM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It handles 2.5" & 3.5" drives and is powered so there are no issues there. Has USB 3 interface but is compatible with USB 2. I've used it many times and it works well.

Phil

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I don't know whether it is better to first setup the new Dell out of the box using the stock HDD, get my user accounts established, etc., and then install the SSD using Samsung's software to clone the HDD to the SSD. Or is it better to first install the SSD as the boot drive and load windows, then use a recovery disk to set up the SSD? I don't know if Dell has any FAQ's or guidance on doing this, or whether I should turn to the internet for help.  In particular, I would like some help with the steps to take once inside the Dell box, i.e. connecting the proper SATA cables, using the proper BIOS settings to recognize the drives, etc.

How will you load Windows to the SSD unless you first run the computer with the HDD and create recovery media? No such media came with my XPS 8900.

Anyway, good idea to use recovery media to install Windows to the SSD. Samsung Migration tool will not create the Dell recovery partitions -- as I found by hard experience. So cannot create recovery media from SSD if you set it up by migrating using Samsung tool. SSD runs fine, but no recovery media or image can be created. At least that was my experience.

Most of my  SSD retrofits are in Macs where there are no such issues. I have had problems re creating recovery media with both Windows 10 systems where I've retrofitted SSDs, one Dell and one HP. So good to have the recovery media created first from the HDD

Phil

Bobby.C
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks, Phil.  It's too late to do what I wished I had done first. I cloned the HDD using the Samsung software so I don't have the recovery partition and I also did not make a recovery disk of the HDD before I formatted it clean.  I did use Macrium Reflect later to get a clone of my SSD with the OS so if I needed to restore it later I can.

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Then you should be OK, Bobby

0 Kudos